RED ONE Workflow Issues

Mitchell Yount

I recently shot a Music Video for an artist in Detroit "Johnny Saxx" for his single "Take Me Away". My DP (Mark Archer, DelPadre Productions) and I had a long discussion about the RED ONE digital camera opposed to 35mm film. At first the idea of a digital workflow with the same quality and apperance as 35mm film sounded, well perfect. No more $900 an hour for devloping, no digital transfers, no fear of bad film and errors in devlopment, just digital pure digital, safe. But then after some research and discussions with editiors I soon relised that what seemed too good to be true actually was. The workflow presented more problems then I could imagine. I had to stay in budget, which was my biggest problem bacuase every day a new thing came up with workflow. First, we wanted to keep costs down and edirting more smooth and less time constricting by shooting in 2K opposed to 4K. Made sence, right? Nope, because when you shoot 2K opposed to 4K it crops the image, it does not just "squeeze" it. So we would loose half our focal leanth, half our image. We shot a scene in a 50X90 stage and we tried to shoot in 2K but even in a 50X90 stage it was too tight, we had to shoot 4K, obvisally raising our edit time and budget. In trems of edit time, I haer rumors of 14 hour remders and other crazy stuff like that. All I can do now is hope that the final edit is done within the original planned 2.5 week edit. The quality was gerat, I hooked up a 52" monitor to the RED and I was shocked! AMAZING. aND THAT WAS A raw image, can't wait for the color garde screen shots. Ill post them when I get them. The video will premire before halloween. I have attached a link for Flickr set photos. Let me know what you think of the set photos and whatever else.

Set Photos (MitchWhy Flickr Stream)

MitchWhy MySpace

Artists MySpace

MitchWhy

Director

Stop hattin'

This particular part of the forum is to discuss the work of individual cinematographers, not the workflow of a particular camera.

It's also a rule of the forum to use a real name. If Why is your surname, please don't combine it with your first name as single word.

This particular part of the forum is to discuss the work of individual cinematographers, not the workflow of a particular camera.

It's also a rule of the forum to use a real name. If Why is your surname, please don't combine it with your first name as single word.

My name is Mitchell Yount (aka MitchWhy) its a nick name. Check out the set photos.

Mitch

My name is Mitchell Yount (aka MitchWhy) its a nick name. Check out the set photos.

Mitch

Then please use your real name, as it's a rule of the forum... I can see where the nick name comes from. It's a common mistake that easily corrected using the controls.

Perhaps sign the post itself with your nick name.

• Premium Member

You must change your name to a real name and not a nickname. That said, all you presented here were suppositions, and fear based on third party stories. You already said the picture looked amazing, so why not wait to see if indeed the fear you have is justified before posting. Posting a supposition based on nothing more than fear only makes for a thread that goes nowhere and pisses everyone off. Let us know how it turns out?

You must change your name to a real name and not a nickname. That said, all you presented here were suppositions, and fear based on third party stories. You already said the picture looked amazing, so why not wait to see if indeed the fear you have is justified before posting. Posting a supposition based on nothing more than fear only makes for a thread that goes nowhere and pisses everyone off. Let us know how it turns out?

Im just trying to be more active on the fourm.

• Premium Member
Im just trying to be more active on the fourm.

Okay, great. Start by changing your name in your profile to your given name. Use your nickname in your signature if you want, but rules you agreed to are that you'll use your real name.

As for HD and formats, yes, there are always issues with post. RED is it's own entity and there are issues with editing it. But perhaps 'issues' is the wrong word. It implies something is wrong. Nothing wrong. Since many manufatuers now use their own codecs and/or mathods of recording, it's a matter of editing systems catching up with the way things are recorded and being able to dechiper it easily. We've been experienceing this since day one with HD. And if everyone keeps going their own way with no standards, we'll just keep having the same issues. I'm sure your project will come out fine. Like many HD fomrats, you'll hit bumps. Part of the growing experience.

Okay, great. Start by changing your name in your profile to your given name. Use your nickname in your signature if you want, but rules you agreed to are that you'll use your real name.

As for HD and formats, yes, there are always issues with post. RED is it's own entity and there are issues with editing it. But perhaps 'issues' is the wrong word. It implies something is wrong. Nothing wrong. Since many manufatuers now use their own codecs and/or mathods of recording, it's a matter of editing systems catching up with the way things are recorded and being able to dechiper it easily. We've been experienceing this since day one with HD. And if everyone keeps going their own way with no standards, we'll just keep having the same issues. I'm sure your project will come out fine. Like many HD fomrats, you'll hit bumps. Part of the growing experience.

Thanks for the post will post finla video when finished.

Mitch