DP TAKEOVER!!

I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you're seem to want to make. :( Please elaborate!

That said, I wasn't intentionally "bashing" Directors at all. A Director's job is to "direct" which should mean marshaling all the creative and technical forces and resources so that everyone involved is on the same page in the same book. There is a skill to doing that well, but it isn't a "technical" skill in the same way that a DP, for instance, knows how to use a light meter and properly light a set and expose film. If a "hack" Director screws up, there are others on the set who likely have enough experience to "take over" and get the movie made competently, the DP being the prime candidate. If the DP goes down in action, maybe the Operator can take over or a First AC, but certainly most Directors don't have any technical skills that would enable them to pick up where one of their creative or technical crew left off.

Directing is definitely a skill that only a few can use very well, but it isn't exactly like they have to "know" anything in terms of tangible button pushing the way most everyone else on set does. He/She really can just get away with saying "yes" or "no" a lot while pointing here and there. Clearly most do a lot more than that, but ultimately, a Director doesn't really have to know how to do more than that. A DP, however, can't "fake it." There are creative goals intertwined with technical skills and logistical awareness that a DP MUST know in order to get his job done. A Director can get away without knowing just about anything if he really needed to. It's not "bashing," it's just reality. :)

One thing I think I should add.

A Director's job is not knowing how to do your job. It helps if he knows every aspect of film in side and out. But, that is not his job. His job is to bring together the best people suited for their varying positions. His job is also to know how to bring out the best in all his cast and crew, and make sure that the STORY is taken from the screenplay and made evident on the screen.

Honestly, I think the best directors know how the film will look before its done, and stay true to the course throughtout. I believe that is called VISION.

But, the only downside is, just because you know how it will be when completed, doesnt mean that vision is good. I guess the lesson here is, never get with a director whose VISION you don't trust or respect. Either by working with him, or previous work done.

That will save you alot of headache.

• Premium Member
just because you know how it will be when completed, doesnt mean that vision is good.

That's a good point and one often overlooked. There are so many books and behind-the-scenes around these days that tell us if you're a director, you must have a vision and know what you want and execute your vision with OCD!

Trouble is, there are only a few Mark McGuire’s out there within decades. Most wannabe director's vision's suck no matter how they rationalize the idea (or so-called “vision”), but they don't know it and their self delusion will never let them know it.

That said, I get nervous I'm not allowing the DP enough input or creative judgment when I'm directing. I enjoy designing, good, bad, or the other.