Glowing walls

So I am here dealing with the usual "make it great with little resources" type of situation.

I am shooting a spec for a guy and he is abuilding a set (attached image) qhich has three walss 20ft wide by 12ft high.

The walls are made of plexy glass and the plan is to backlight them evenly....thats the plan but now reality is this...

Between the set walls and and the stage walls I only have 4.5ft of separation and I am trying to figure out how ti light as evenly as possible this walls...

I have been bouncing through diverse optitions as Kino rigs (I would need a lot of them), Luma Panels (need to see how much it would cost) and cyc lights from mole...now this last option ins interesting, not ideal but may be cost effective (need to check price).

If I put a bottom line and a top libe of cyc lights I would get a good exposure (even though not even) on the walls high enough to bring everything to "almost white"....

Adding to this I want to shoot at a T4 and this units backlit at asa 125 would give me this for sure....

the reason of 125asa is that I am using 500 asa stock but we are gona shoot 96fps and possible 120fps and I want to light to a lower asa for t4 so I dont need to change my stops base on the fps and jsut work with ND on camera....which brings another issue..

working with cyc lights coming through the diffusion wall may cause a problem with flares (Primo zoom 17.5 to 75mm is the lens used) so this brings me back to a fluorecent plan but...planning still..

the other option with the cycs to to hand on the stage wall 20*20 white rags and light that so its glowing through the glass an avoid direct hits and glares...now not sure if I will get enough exposure because the plexy is milky white semi translucent...

any ideas would be more than great!

Thanks a lot and best

M

PS:image attached

post-317-1223354708.jpg

Hi thanks for your reply.

Was looking at skypans but not sure if they will do the job with only 4.5 of distance and scpecially if I want toa void the hotspot of the fixture behind it...

as well i can hang them but the falloff is huge to the bottom in that case...

any suggestions regarding them?

m

now i came to one option (money is better) to use single 8ft tubes and 4 ft tubes verticallyon the seems of the tiles where each one will give me about 70fc individually and whn i add them up will get more..is not gona be even but at least a geometrical lighting pattern.

May shoot them directly at the white plexy or shot them at a 20*20 silver on eaach wall and spot reading should get about a T8...gona put them vertically....

any suggestions?

thanks!

m

• Premium Member

Flouros are your best choice here. They will give you plenty of illumination while lighting the plexi easily and more importantly, evenly. Just make sure you are using hi frequency transformers so as not to create any flicker issues with your film speed.

• Premium Member

In school, I did something similar with roughly the same space constraints, though I was only doing one wall of it. We couldn't afford that many kinos so I used a bunch of par cans bounced off of foamcore on the opposite side from the plexi. I had a row along the bottom aimed about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the foamcore and another row rigged from a grid aimed about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way of the foamcore. It was not the most efficient way nor was it comfortable in there with all those burning but it worked and it was cheap. The narrow aisle was just enough space to let me bounce all those sources.

I forgot to mention I used a bounce material that was a little bit glossy. I didn't need perfectly soft bounce since it was going through a heavy diffuser anyway and the little extra output helped some.

Edited by Chris Keth