Using Work Lights.

I can only afford to use Work lights from home depot.

cg5217yhfdh.jpg

What would you guys use to hang the work lights?

I've clamped them on to chairs, tripods, and more, they always fall off or restrict me from placing them where i want them.

Is there anything i can build or buy that works better.

Any suggestions?

They come with a clamp! Kidding, I know they fall when bottom hung. Use a staple gun! Careful though, the socket says that it can handle up to 660w, but I've melted them with photo floods.

You can buy porcelain sockets that can handle 1000w bulbs easily.

To get a lot of output with these lights, combine a few of them together. Think stadium lighting.

• Premium Member

Well; they kinda are what they are, ya know? For better mounting, gaff tape the poop out of them and the should hold. Aside from that, hell, save up for some old open-face units off of ebay and some stands. save yourself the headache. Or, you can also build a "T" out ot wood to mount them onto and then drill that to a base.

• Premium Member

I've used the h**l out of them. If you need them just to add definition and lighting direction to your subjects and don't need more stops, they can do fine. The light tends to be sharp, but it's better than nothing if you are really, really broke. You can clamp diffusion to them with clothes pins (ooooh, I said, "clothes pins"). I've taped their clamps to stuff to compensate for their weakness. They are flimsy. So, you'll lose a percentage of them as the production rocks along. I cut their plugs and patched/taped in 25' of lamp cord to make them faster to rig. They're handy. Even with better lighting rigs, they can be useful for top light by taping them to a wall, since they are so light (not such a good pun).

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLORTRAN-MINI-PRO-LIG...id=p3286.c0.m14

You can't afford buying cheap theatrical/ film lights off eBay? The above light by Colortran is WAAY better than a work light! With a barndoor set (needed) and a stand and some diffusion and gels you can make those babies sing.

See, I'm just a newb, I didn't even know that item existed. What would be the cheapest yet most professional set up for me to get?

all this buying light conversation made me thirsty.

I just bought 3 Par 64 Cans and 3 1000 watt MFL Bulbs.

http://www.stagelightingusa.com/Par-64-Cans-18-cat.htm - I ended up buying the optima; more expensive but free shipping, which saved me a few bucks from buying the cheaper version, and paying for shipping.

I found 3 1000 watt bulbs on ebay for $17 each, so I saved $5 a bulb compared to Stage Lightings price.

I've wanted to buy these lights for a while. They take abuse and they are great!

• Upvote 1

all this buying light conversation made me thirsty.

I just bought 3 Par 64 Cans and 3 1000 watt MFL Bulbs.

Yeah PAR cans are great, did you get the TVMP adapters? Cause you want to put them on stands too, I assume? I am just wondering if you have something else up your sleeve . . .

• Upvote 1