Day for night of Navarro in Pan's Labyrinth, and shooting night

Juan Pablo Ramirez

I saw again Navarro's work in Pan'a Labyrinth, and i know it's a fantasy movie so the cinematograhpy doesn't have to be realistic per se, but, i didn't like the way the night for day was worked, it was imo, to obvious that he did day for night and he had to much bright lights in the night, and it was too blue for what i like, i like the work of doyle in Lady in the Water best, the worked in the "magic hour" i read somewhere so the process of day for night was less obvious and he had softer light, and that leads to my queston who is in your opinion the best cinematographers for shooting night scens in my opinion Deakins, how he works with color temperature and shadows is great he doesnt taint the whole frame in blue, he points out little interesting places in the frame and light them up, and of course Gordon Willis but he IS darkness, he can find dark places in the desert.

Sorry about the grammar english ain't my native language.

Pablo Ramirez

2nd/1rs AC

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I think Roaul Coutard was one of the best or there's even a film called "La nuit Americaine" by françois Truffaut shot by Pierre-William Glenn.

I don't think there's a day for night scene in that film (Day for Night). Jacqueline Bisset translates for the director (Truffaut) with (I think) a stuntman and explains that a scene will be shot 'nuit américaine' which is what the french call 'Day for Night' (American night). Great film though that I would recommend to anyone interested in making films.

• 1 month later...

perhaps the best handling of a night scene is in "There Will Be Blood" when DW sets the house on fire and Daniel Plainview chases after him. For me, this is how it looks at night. It is not overly blue. I also like John Alcott's "night scene" in Barry Lyndon where Redmund is standing by the fire considering leaving the army. In that scene it looks like its magic hour shot to look like night. There's also some lights to the side to simulate the fire light. Very simple, yet elegant. I very generally don't like Day for Night scenes. It drove me crazy in the remake of "King Kong." I can always tell and it bothers me.

I remember liking Rodrigo Prieto's day for night work in "Brokeback Mountain", I'm thinking of the night exterior scenes with the two guys on the mountain. It's my favorite color day for night photography, though I think some of Dante Spinotti's work on "The Insider" is very good as well, if maybe more stylized.