Day for night of Navarro in Pan's Labyrinth, and shooting night

Juan Pablo Ramirez

I saw again Navarro's work in Pan's Labyrinth, and i know it's a fantasy movie so the cinematograhpy doesn't have to be realistic per se, but, i didn't like the way the night for day was worked, it was imo, to obvious that he did day for night and he had to much bright lights in the night, and it was too blue for what i like, i wanted to know if someone saw it the way i did, i liked how Doyle worked the day for night process in Lady in the Water, he worked in the "magic hour" i read somewhere so the process of day for night was less obvious and he had softer light, and that leads to my queston who is in your opinion is the best cinematographer for shooting night scens in my opinion Deakins, how he works with color temperature and shadows is great he doesnt taint the whole frame in blue, he points out little interesting places in the frame and light them up, and of course Gordon Willis but he IS darkness, he can find dark places in the desert.

Sorry about the grammar english ain't my native language.

Pablo Ramirez

2nd/1rs AC

I agree I didnt like the day for night in Pans Labyrinth for the same reasons,too many hot highlights.

I know its a pain in the ass to light a forrest at night:(

But I wish he did that instead,it would have better matched up to the nighttime footage of the Labyrinth.

plus he lit those scenes so beautifully, the hard contrast of color and showdows.

with the day for night it was the complete opposite.and it stood out and was very obvious it was daytime.

some good day for night is Bill butlers work on Jaws

I cant imagine how hard it must of been shooting on the water and trying to make it look like night time