Miniature dolly platform rigging

dan brockett

Hi all:

I would welcome suggestions from any of you who are really grip and rigging experts. I recently purchased a tiny tabletop dolly. I am shooting with a small, light camcorder (4.2lbs) so this tiny little dolly works really nicely. It has the typical skateboard type of wheels except that they are grooved wheels. 1/2" PVC makes a good track for them. I purchased a piece of half inch thick 6' x 12" MDF and fastened the PVC to it as a small dolly track platform. I shot tests last night, it works quite nicely.

My only challenge is that I would also like to bring this rig on location on occasion and I need to setup something small, light and portable to hold the MDF with the track on it at a predetermined height. My thinking is to use two 20" Gary Colemans to hold up the MDF since I already own one and could easily obtain another. I could fasten baby plates to the MDF and then just insert the 5/8 spud into the grip heads on the Colemans? But then I have this piece of MDF with two 5/8" spuds sticking out, which I think will snag on things in transport in a car/truck and then I cannot use the same piece of MDF/track on the ground or other flat surface without having to remove the baby plates so that the bottom of the MDF is flat.

Are there any other grip/mounting devices that would attach a piece of 1/2" thick MDF to two Gary Colemans securely but would be easily removable for transport and using the MDF on the ground?

Kind of an obscure question, but I know that there are a lot of talented people that read this board.

Suggestions?

Dan

If you wanted to get fancy...

get some T-nuts, threaded insert nuts that hammer or screw into wood.

Get 2 threaded baby pins from Modern or Norms. Cinemagadgets.com

This way you can unbolt the pins quickly and easily transforming it between your needs.

the only caveat is that you want to replace the MDF with real plywood. It would only have to be 1/2 Birch. The MDF is Not very adept at point loading. you could even cut out all the unnessesary parts of the plywood to lighten the weight. you could even put multiple points for rigging on it.

Have fun sounds like a cool little rig.