New Macs?

David Rakoczy

What is your gut feel as to when the next batch of Mac Pros is due for release? I desperately need to upgrade my hardware and FCP but want the latest and greatest. Is buying the current (desktop) release a mistake?

Edited by David Rakoczy

What is your gut feel as to when the next batch of Mac Pros is due for release? I desperately need to upgrade my hardware and FCP but want the latest and greatest. Is buying the current (desktop) release a mistake?

Macrumors suggests that an upgrade is imminent. I would wait, unless you have a well paying job that needs to get done right now.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Best

Tim

Over the past year I have found that the buyersguide on Macrumors has not been accurate as Apple has changed some of their game plans. There will most definitely be a new release when Snow Leopard comes out. If you have a machine now that can work for the time being, then I would wait. It probably won't be a huge upgrade though.

Its true it can be a challenge to predict exactly when Apple will update its computers.

Since Apple has moved to Intel it has become easier because they are going to follow Intel's roadmap pretty closely.

In November Intel will launch a entirely new desktop chip architecture called Core i7. It will be a big update and Apple will definitely use it. Apple likes to make big announcements at MacWorld in January. That seems the most logical time for the new Mac Pro.

Apple has said Snow Leopard will come out early 2009. In the past they've launched new operating systems around April or May, right before the Apple Developers Conference in June.