information reqiered

Guest vamshi

:) hi i am a aspiring cinemotographer. i am going to join a cinemotographer as asiistant. now ia mmaking a shortfilm for my friend who is directing the movie. i am going to use panasonic dvx 100 camera. but my fate here in my region its very rainny. lot of fog. if i use it in rainny day to fog day whther the camera will work or it will get fault. then i want to know the details of that camera pls anyone can answer this questions. pls can u give me a mail or post here.if so thank you

Throw some saran wrap on it, you'll be fine. :-P

Actually, does the DVX100 have a feature where it shuts off if it gets too humid? I know some video cameras do. The manual is in the other room and I don't feel like getting up...

Which brings me to my next suggestion- if you look around online, you can find the manual for the camera, which is very helpful. I think it's 71 pages though, so make sure you've got a lot of printer ink and paper. :-)

As far as moisture-proofing, this link might vaguely point you in the right direction, even though you're not at sea.

http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%20GB/F...%20at%20sea.htm

And there's this, which may help even though the camera being waterproofed is a still camera, not video:

http://web.syr.edu/~lmason/waterproofing.html

Or there's this, an Aquatech Sport Shield:

http://www.aquatech.com.au/products/sports...portshields.htm (doesn't it look cute??)

Anyway, that is all I have to offer. I've only just begun to get my feet wet with this camera and I really like it, to the point where if a large sum of money fell into my lap, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Sorry for the novel, I hope I vaguely answered your questions.

• 2 months later...

Ladies and Gentleman,

I'm helping some friends do research on renting cameras for thier first movie. They want to rent 24p prosumer cameras (DVX 100, XL2). My question is:

1. What other cameras are there besides the DVX 100 and XL2 that shoot 24p?

2. Where can I rent them from? I from NJ so I would have to find something close to tri-state area of Delaware, NJ, PA, or even MD.

3. Where can I find a Boom Mic kit and lavelier mics to rent.

If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Hi,

1. What other cameras are there besides the DVX 100 and XL2 that shoot 24p?

none at the DV level, SDX900 at DV50 level and the HD cameras.

2. Where can I rent them from? I from NJ so I would have to find something close to tri-state area of Delaware, NJ, PA, or even MD.

Abel Cine Tech or Tamberrelli in NYC.

3. Where can I find a Boom Mic kit and lavelier mics to rent.

If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Same places.

Best Jan

Hi,

>> 1. What other cameras are there besides the DVX 100 and XL2 that shoot 24p?

> none at the DV level, SDX900 at DV50 level and the HD cameras

Aw, c'mon Jan, Sony has some stuff.

Phil

Okay Phil which ones are they? Their newest cameras the FX1 and Z1 only do a Cineframe like thing and are not 24P. The only 24P that Sony has is the Cine-Alta, and frankly I assumed that $100,000 plus was out of our inquirers budget, sice he only asked about SD cameras. I did alude to them un the Hd thing in my response. But if you know of an SD camera from Sony that does a true 24P, jump right in and let us know.

Thanks,

Jan

• Premium Member

Sony offers a 24P card option for the NTSC PDW530 IMX XDCAM. According to their site: "Optional CBK-FC01, 24P shooting card provides film-look capture capability with 24-frame capture in CCD."

You can also shoot 25P with the MSW900P IMX PAL camcorder. The NTSC version offers 30P as an option.

That's about it in the SD world for Sony for 24/25/30P.

So you're telling that the HVR Z1u isn't 24P? :angry:

That was a major selling point for the camera.

It Shot HD (compressed of course-->HDV)

It shot PAL & NTSC

& It shot progressive: 24P and 25P

So they're seriously misleading the public.

What else are they lying about?

Does it really shoot HD?

Is it really PAL & NTSC?

Does it really have XLR inputs?

Now I'm just not sure. :unsure:

What are the great REAL qualities of this new SONY HVR Z1U?

KARMA bums

• Premium Member

The Sony HDV camera is 1080i, which is still pretty impressive considering the cost. It can record in 60i or 50i. It can capture either way as well.

It also has 24F, 25F, 30F -- "F" for "cineframe", a simulated progressive-scan look, sort of similar to those "film look" post software effects that convert 60i into 24P, except that the final recording is still 60i with a 3:2 pulldown. In other words, in 24F mode it is still capturing at 60i, but dropping some fields, repeating others, interpolating, etc. to make it look like 24P.

Hi,

You know, I do forget that the XDCAM cameras have this 24P card option. But even so, these cameras are not in the original poster's budget range. My oversight. Excuse me.

And no, the FX1 and the Z1 are not progressive capture for 24P or 30P or even 25P. They are interpolated frames. Strictly 1080i cameras.

Best regards,

Jan

It also has 24F, 25F, 30F -- "F" for "cineframe", a simulated progressive-scan look, sort of similar to those "film look" post software effects that convert 60i into 24P, except that the final recording is still 60i with a 3:2 pulldown.  In other words, in 24F mode it is still capturing at 60i, but dropping some fields, repeating others, interpolating, etc. to make it look like 24P.

And this is different from how the DVX derives a "24p" image?

• Premium Member
And this is different from how the DVX derives a "24p" image?

Yes, the DVX100 in 24P mode actually captures entire frames 24 times a second, progressive-scan, and then converts it to 60i by adding pulldown, versus the Sony HDV camera shooting in 60i, dropping fields and interpolating to create a 24P look, then taking the results and adding pulldown to restore it to 60i.