Eclair ACL footage

Nick Norton

www.onthereeal.com/cameratest.html

Just wanted to post my first camera test in case anyone in the future wanted to get a look at footage shot with the Eclair ACL.

100' Vision3 500T

Angenieux 10-150

24, 50 and 75fps

Not sure why it flickers on some of the slow motion shots.

Sending my camera away tomorrow to Bernie at super16 for a complete overhaul. (or at least just to fix my motor)

-nicholas

• 2 weeks later...

The flicker is most likely becasue of the shutter speed (or angle, not sure on that) and the lights freaquency not being matched. At least, that what it looks like to me, but I am far from an expert.

Really cool tho man! Some of the shots of the riders goofing off got a little tedious but other then that it was sick!

• Premium Member

Hey I know that guy, is that "texas'? I used to live in florida and skate. I think your flickr problems are from shooting at a non-sync frame rate under 60hz lighting, try 60fps next time instead if 75fps.

www.onthereeal.com/cameratest.html

Just wanted to post my first camera test in case anyone in the future wanted to get a look at footage shot with the Eclair ACL.

100' Vision3 500T

Angenieux 10-150

24, 50 and 75fps

Not sure why it flickers on some of the slow motion shots.

Sending my camera away tomorrow to Bernie at super16 for a complete overhaul. (or at least just to fix my motor)

-nicholas

Edited by hunter richards

Yeah, it looks like the 60hz lights and your frame rate don't agree on when and where to sync. Where did you do the transfer? The V3 grain looks OK but then, it is a tiny video window so I guess it really is hard to tell from here.

Always nice to hear The Cramps.

• Premium Member

Clear case. The Eclair ACL has a 175 degrees focal plane shutter. You get interference with the 60 Hertz line lights at 75 fps: 175/360 = 0.486111; exposure time at 75 fps = 0.006481 s. Relation to 0.01666 s (1/60) = 29.1666 which is that ugly bit off the matching 30. To shoot in 60-Hz line light at 25, 50 or 75 fps you need 172.8 degrees shutter opening angle.

Clear case. The Eclair ACL has a 175 degrees focal plane shutter. You get interference with the 60 Hertz line lights at 75 fps: 175/360 = 0.486111; exposure time at 75 fps = 0.006481 s. Relation to 0.01666 s (1/60) = 29.1666 which is that ugly bit off the matching 30. To shoot in 60-Hz line light at 25, 50 or 75 fps you need 172.8 degrees shutter opening angle.

Doesn't the ACL have a 144 degree shutter?

Doesn't the ACL have a 144 degree shutter?

Some do and some don't. S16 ACL's have 144 degree shutter for sure, to allow the proper exposure of the extra image area. One of my R16 ACL's has a 144 degree shutter, and it says so on the shutter, but I think it was an after market mod.

Awesome footage man - it looks great!

I'm curious to know what your light meter said and what aperture you used if you remember? It looks like it was shot at night time but your exposure is right on the money. Also, who did your processing?

If anybody has any more info or rules about flickering at 75fps I would like to hear it. I was planning to shoot some slow motion & fast motion footage. Now I'm kinda panicking that I have yet another potential problem that will require more rolls of elaborate notes & test footage to be shot.

Awesome footage man - it looks great!

I'm curious to know what your light meter said and what aperture you used if you remember? It looks like it was shot at night time but your exposure is right on the money. Also, who did your processing?

If anybody has any more info or rules about flickering at 75fps I would like to hear it. I was planning to shoot some slow motion & fast motion footage. Now I'm kinda panicking that I have yet another potential problem that will require more rolls of elaborate notes & test footage to be shot.

Hey man, thanks for the nice words. Footage turned out because of the people here, especially Saul and Adrian and all of their help, cause without that this would have been a very different camera test.

I remember shooting pretty much wide open at 75fps... i might have been underexposing a little (light meter probably told me around f1.8 - f2, and i was shooting at t2.3 The other stuff was shot... maybe even close to 5.6, but i think i shot 2.8 in the shadows.... guess i can't really do a great job at remembering.

Alpha Cine processed the film, Frame Discreet transferred it.

...oh, and by the way Hunter, that is indeed texas. where are you living these days?

-nicholas