Arri ST Power/Battery Options

Dustin Hicks

I recently acquired an Arri ST, it has a constant speed motor, and no battery package.

I just found one on Ebay that is powered by Makita drill batteries - does anyone know how this is done? I can't really find any Arri battery packs anywhere, and really do not want to spend a lot of money on something like batteries. . . If anyone can help me figure out my power problem I'd be extremely grateful. I'd really love to power this thing with drill batteries, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to getting the voltage to 8v and 3.6amps (is that right?), or wiring the cable to the battery to plug into the camera.

Which reminds me of one other thing; does anyone know where I can buy a single power cable to plug into the back of the Arri ST?

Thanks for ya'lls help.

~Dustin Hicks

• Premium Member

Hey Dustin,

Welcome to the forums. One thing you need to do is change your log-in name to your first and last name both, that is the forum rule.

Congrats on your new/old Arriflex 16ST. You can get power cables either at a place called TCS in New York, or from Shelton Communications in Texas. Both of them used to have the power cables for the Arriflex 16S.

As far as batteries, do an archive search. I have used Radio Shack RC car batteries, the 7.2 volt ones, two of them, wired in parallel, to run the camera. If you are not using the 400 ft mags and torque motors, the Radio Shack RC batteries will run the camera with the 100 ft internal loads for the better part of a day.

Best,

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response. I found Shelton Comm. in Texas; very good site. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard to wire the cables to the battery(ies) and just plug it in. 7.2V sounds like it should do it for an 8V constant speed motor; even the Arri-S manual says you can run the camera off of 6V DC.

Thanks for your help,

~Dustin