Nizo S 560 & Canon AutoZoom 814 Exposure

martin sc

hi everybody!

I got a Nizo S560 and a Canon AZ814 some time ago. I am planning to shot some scenes for a documentary on super8. So I have some questions about the exposure time of the nizo and canon. Do both cameras have a constant exposure time for each fps setting? or do they have an automatic esposure time...

best regards

hi everybody!

I got a Nizo S560 and a Canon AZ814 some time ago. I am planning to shot some scenes for a documentary on super8. So I have some questions about the exposure time of the nizo and canon. Do both cameras have a constant exposure time for each fps setting? or do they have an automatic esposure time...

best regards

The exposure time varies with the filming rate (fps).

Exposure time = (1/speed in fps) X (angle of shutter opening/360)

With both those cameras the angle of the shutter opening like 150 or 170 degrees (someone else here might know exactly).

Rick

i think this is right (please! correct me if i'm wrong):

i'm pretty sure the canon 814AZ has a through the lens light meter so you probably don't need to know the shutter angle for metering through the lens (because the meter already knows the angle). but suppose you are using an external meter...

the canon has a shutter angle of 155 degrees (according to super8wiki and the canon museum page)

so:

(1/speed in fps) X (angle of shutter opening/360) = Exposure time

(1/24) x (155/360) = 0.0179398148 ... which is pretty close to 1 / 56 = 0.0178571429

so for the 814 i guess we can say the exposure time is right around 1/56.

my question is, can we just do some easy rounding to 1/50th for light meters (like the common sekonic l-398) that don't have that exposure time?

xo

i think this is right (please! correct me if i'm wrong):

i'm pretty sure the canon 814AZ has a through the lens light meter so you probably don't need to know the shutter angle for metering through the lens (because the meter already knows the angle). but suppose you are using an external meter...

You are right that Canon has Through the Lens metering (as does Nizo I believe) so yes, internal meter should be accurate (if working properly). I always use internal meter and would have mentioned this, but it was not the original question, though you anticipated the logical follow-up question.

the canon has a shutter angle of 155 degrees (according to super8wiki and the canon museum page)

Good to know.

Rick

Edited by Rick Palidwor