HVX200 Mini35 locking?

Ry Kawanaka

Hi,

I was 1sting on a lo-budget music video gig and we were using mini35 on HVX200.

I wasn't given a time to prep the equipment so I just followed the DP's instructions. HVX and mini35 were already assembled. So I just set the back focus and checked a couple of lenses we were gonna use heavily.

I noticed HVX wasn't securely locked into the mini35 relay lens. So I disassembled the whole thing but there's no locking system on the relay lens, so I just let it sit tight and tried not to touch the camera as much as possible. The DP said it's just the way it is, but I didn't feel comfortable at all. I was constantly in the fear of the camera sifting slightly without being noticed and mess up with the back focus. Is this the case of this HVX with mini35 combo? I just want to know for the future.

Ry

Yep, that's just the way it is. Set the back focus on the HVX's fixed lens then tape it down so doesn't wiggle around. Try not to touch that part of the camera too much and check it from time to time. If it was precise and stable that would just take all the fun out of it now wouldn't it.

Thanks for the reply, Alex.

Glad to know nothing was wrong with the kit on that gig. I wish the relay lens can lock on to front of the HVX lens... I wonder why ps technik didn't design the adaptor the way it locks to the camera securely. It seems to be a design flaw to me...

Ry

• 3 months later...
I wonder why ps technik didn't design the adaptor the way it locks to the camera securely. It seems to be a design flaw to me...

They did, it actually screws onto the filter thread of the HVX. But you still have to check back focus during temperature changes. Usually just by a digit or two on the camera's focus number.