Moving From the HVX200 to the HPX170?

dan brockett

Does this one still have the low resolution CCDs that the HVX200 has or did they finally put real HD imagers in their lower cost cameras?

From what I have read, Panasonic feels that there would be heat issues in putting 1/2" CCDs into a body the size of the HPX and they do not want to go the CMOS/Rolling shutter route that Sony has chosen...yet. I think that CMOS imagers run cooler, it is inherent in the technology. I have a feeling that as soon as the technology evolves to where CMOS imagers can be implemented without rolling shutter artifacting at a reasonable cost, I think that everything will go with CMOS.

170 features same size CCD imagers 960x540 pixel shifted, but they did improve noise, detail, upped the speed by half a stop and have new DSP processing. If you are going for purely the highest resolution, you would want the EX1, nothing touches it in it's price range and even quite a bit higher for pure resolution. But to me, resolution isn't everything ;-) I shoot weekly with the EX1 (one of my clients has one that I use) as well and have a a decent amount of experience with both of them. Overall, I prefer the image of the HVX200A/HPX170 over the Sony. Definitely not as high resolution but more pleasing in every other way to me.

The HPX170 and the HVX200A share the same identical new CCD imagers.

Dan

• 2 months later...