First proper photography.

Matthew Buick

Hello.

Since I got my HV30 a couple ago I've been practising my photography properly. Now I've taken many photos before, but this is the first time I've paid attention closely the the F Number I was using, DoF, etc. So I guess you could say these are my first photographs from a more professional viewpoint.

Just twelve at the moment, but I'll upload more. Please don't be too hard on me.

Best Regards. :)

My Flickr Account.

• Premium Member
Hello.

Since I got my HV30 a couple ago I've been practising my photography properly. Now I've taken many photos before, but this is the first time I've paid attention closely the the F Number I was using, DoF, etc. So I guess you could say these are my first photographs from a more professional viewpoint.

Just twelve at the moment, but I'll upload more. Please don't be too hard on me.

Best Regards. :)

My Flickr Account.

Some nice stuff there Matthew!

Try for more difficult subjects next time.

Kieran.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

The online distance learning website I subscribed to is publishing a magazine internally, and I've got an opportunity to showcase my photography in it. I can't for the life of me choose my six favourite photos, so could you pick them please.

I changed the URL to my account, here it is.

Guest Evan Pierre

Although I own an HV20 and not a 30 ($500 less!) "Speaks For Itself." is still fantastic! :lol: The light and shadow of the letters looks great!

• 3 weeks later...
I've updated the layout of my page and uploaded some new photos, please tell me what you think.

I think you're on the right road to be a cameraman obviously you appreciate colour framing and lighting as well as dof. You have made some ordinary items stand out and bought them to life. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.

I've recently been really paranoid that my skills as a photographer aren't getting better. I wonder if you'd take a look at my photos for this year, and give your opinion please. I wouldn't ask were it not for the fact I'm rather bad at judging my own work.

Thanks!

Here.

Matt,

These all look pretty good, I didn't see the ones you got rid of so I'm not sure how your progressing. I like the ones of the cars (the lambo and citroen), looking at the thumbnails I thought they were real (unless they are real and you've faked the DoF to make them look like miniatures ;)). With my overly-critical hat on I'd say the cat shots are perhaps the shots I like the least, if only because I'm not too keen on 'shots-of-my-pet' type shot (there is only one pet photo I've ever took which I would consider decent).

-W

All good, simple pictures. Millenium Bridge II works very well - the light & shade on the arch is well counterbalanced by the light and shade in the clouds. Good lighting and composition all in one! It's clear how much better it is than the other Millenium Bridge shot.

Well thanks so much Will and Dominic! You've really set my mind at ease. I know what you mean about pet photos, they are cheesy, but I love him so much! Millenium Bridge II is one my top five faves for sure, it's moody. And I love moody.

Also - you've inspired me to go out and buy a bunch of model vehicles (planes, trains and automobiles) to photograph. :)

Always check the model before buying. Even the most expensive ones can have the odd wonky transfer that'll ruin your photo.

Take care all!

• 3 months later...