HELP!! how to tell if the ground glass is s16mm

Daniel Carruthers

Hey the Film co op I work for recently purchases a K-3 s16mm camera for dirt cheap.

the filmgate looks like it has been converted to s16,but when I look thorugh the viewfinder,it looks like a normal 16mm aspect ratio.

So Im wondering how to get the ground glass converted to s16mm

I have yet to shoot some tests with the camera,so maybe the groundglass is fine??

Hey the Film co op I work for recently purchases a K-3 s16mm camera for dirt cheap.

the filmgate looks like it has been converted to s16,but when I look thorugh the viewfinder,it looks like a normal 16mm aspect ratio.

So Im wondering how to get the ground glass converted to s16mm

I have yet to shoot some tests with the camera,so maybe the groundglass is fine??

Hi Daniel,

I think that is quite normal. When Les Bosher converted my K3, he recentered the lens mount, changed to Nikon mount and did a great job. But he told me that converting the viewfinder/ ground glass would be very difficult. So I have to imagine about 20% to the right of my frame when I shoot. Sounds like you have to do the same.

Kristian

Hi Daniel,

I think that is quite normal. When Les Bosher converted my K3, he recentered the lens mount, changed to Nikon mount and did a great job. But he told me that converting the viewfinder/ ground glass would be very difficult. So I have to imagine about 20% to the right of my frame when I shoot. Sounds like you have to do the same.

Kristian

Thanks Kristian

I was worried thats what would I have to do,oh well, I'll be shooting some test soon

thanks again

hey Kristian

On the my K-3 it looks like the conversion was done on the left side.

can the conversion be done on either sides??

I'll know once when I shoot some tests

thanks

The conversion has to be done on the side opposite the pull-down claw. If you try to do it on the wrong side the claw is in the way, and the image on the film would appear over the single row of perfs rather than across the "missing" row of perfs.