Achieving this 'magic hour' look

Tom Sugden

Hi everyone,

I'm DPing a commercial to be entered into the Kodak Student Commercial Awards. The commercial's for the Kodak Zi6 camera and our tagline is 'make visual poetry'.

One of the scenes is in a field and i want to capture a similar look that's achieved in this advert - http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZgMnph8Kk

Can anyone give me some advice on how to achieve the same look? I'm planning on shooting on 500T 7219 because there are other interior locations (and we only get given one 400ft roll of stock). Will using a daylight correction filter ruin the lens flares when shooting towards the sun?

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I'm DPing a commercial to be entered into the Kodak Student Commercial Awards. The commercial's for the Kodak Zi6 camera and our tagline is 'make visual poetry'.

One of the scenes is in a field and i want to capture a similar look that's achieved in this advert - http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZgMnph8Kk

Can anyone give me some advice on how to achieve the same look? I'm planning on shooting on 500T 7219 because there are other interior locations (and we only get given one 400ft roll of stock). Will using a daylight correction filter ruin the lens flares when shooting towards the sun?

Cheers!

Tom,

Can you just shoot at Magic Hour? One of the biggest and best things about that video you showed was the beautiful sun that was very evident in the frame. Having that will almost do the job for you. Then it is just a matter of using bounce to fill in the front side of your talent. If you wanna get more of a golden look in that bounce, use gold reflectors, that is what I prefer, but definitely not necessary as any type of bounce will work.

Make use of your natural daylight though, because simplicity is sometimes the best thing when you are looking for something beautiful. I don't see why using a 85B filter will ruin the lens flares, but I guess it is possible that it may in some way affects them, I cant be sure about that though. But I really don't see why it would be a problem.

In the end, what your looking to achieve may in some way seem hard, but it isn't. Study your light, watch what the sun does for you and then fill in the gaps, and trust in your instincts while your out there. Don't roll the camera until you feel in your gut that you've got it nailed. Good Luck and I help this helped you in some way.

I don't see why using a 85B filter will ruin the lens flares, but I guess it is possible that it may in some way affects them, I cant be sure about that though. But I really don't see why it would be a problem.

I could be wrong but I thought that the more glass you have the more prone you are to lens flare. Hence the reason why you might want to close the aperture rather then use a ND filter (without considering depth of field).