Some more things you might want to know

Alan Lasky

From today's press release:

http://www.dalsa.com/news/news.asp?itemID=359

As previously announced, DALSA is committed to eliminating the ongoing losses in the Digital Cinema division by the end of 2008. The Company has recently entered into a non-binding letter of intent (?LOI?), which includes a 30-day period of exclusive negotiations, with Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH (?ARRI?), one of the world?s leading manufacturers of cinematography cameras. Under the terms of the LOI, ARRI would acquire certain existing assets of the DALSA Digital Cinema division. Concurrently, DALSA and ARRI would enter into a technology partnership agreement whereby DALSA will develop for ARRI custom high performance CCD image sensors and related products. Furthermore, DALSA would supply the developed products to ARRI for digital cinematography applications through DALSA?s core businesses. Related to the transaction contemplated by the LOI, DALSA will endeavour to find a buyer for its Los Angeles based camera rental operations.

DALSA will eliminate the ongoing losses from the Digital Cinema business prior to year end; however, there is no assurance that any transactions will be completed.

The results of operations and financial position of DALSA?s Digital Cinema business unit have been segregated and presented separately as discontinued operations in the Company?s unaudited consolidated interim financial statements for the third quarter. The Company has taken a $24.9 million after tax charge comprised of a non-cash charge of $21.7 million and a cash charge of $3.2 million. For further information, refer to note 11 of the accompanying notes to the Company?s unaudited consolidated interim financial statements for Q3 2008.

?The actions we undertook in the third quarter to stem further losses in our Digital Cinema initiative will now allow us to focus our attention more fully on our core Digital Imaging and Semiconductor businesses, and to further build on their success moving forward,? commented Brian Doody, Chief Executive Officer of DALSA Corporation. ?The financial results in our core businesses this quarter and this year underscore DALSA?s strong international technology and product leadership position as well as the strong fundamentals of our business. We look forward to meeting with investors and analysts to share more about our Digital Imaging and Semiconductor businesses at our upcoming Analyst Day taking place in Toronto on November 18th, 2008.? For more information on the Investor Day please refer to the information contained at the bottom of this press release.

Alan Lasky

PROC

Guest Stephen Murphy

About time - A dalsa sensor in the body of an Arricam LT is a Digital Camera Id actually be delighted to shoot on. Look forward to what this collaboration brings.

• Premium Member

Well we told you so.

(Well, some of your predecessors anyway).

There is no money in Digital Cinematography. For large rental companies at any rate.

And by "no money" I mean there are no positive numbers on the BOTTOM LINE.

Which in simple terms means the potential rental income is unlikely to ever recover your initial outlay.

Panavision scrape by because their so-called "Digital Cinematography" video cameras are popular for TV work, (because that's what they are), NOT because terribly many people make movies with them, and because they still rent lots of nice film cameras, and other "format neutral" equipment, (and also because its billionaire owner keeps shovelling money into it, for God knows what reason but that's another story).

After all the fanfare of Star Wars 3, Plus8Digital sold out to Panavision in the end.

Etc etc

The Kinettta went nowhere.

Arri are a special case, because they took a very conservative approach, recycling the tried-and-true 435 platform, and also because their CMOS sensor is a spinoff from their Arriscan film scanner. But I don't seem to hear about too many D21 blockbusters in the works.

As far as I can see, most of these projects seem to have been instigated as financial chewing gum to keep various executives in their jobs for a bit longer (or create new ones). The biggest problem was that the "New Technology" always looked suspiciously like tarted-up Old Technology.

The RED is a wild card. It's a bit like the Manhattan Project; there is simply no way of determining what the actual costs are. But RED aren't a rental company, they haven't got more managers than people who actually do anything, and basically they are the maverick startup that I always said would come along.

RED seem to pride themselves on "not knowing what they're doing". (And I'm sure Graeme Nattress and his fellow boffins just LOVE hearing that;-)

Sadly I fear that all they are going to do is allow somebody who does know what they are doing, to demonstrate to some star-struck investor something to the effect of: "Well look; they did all that and they're basically a garage operation, (JJ's own words) just think what we could so if you spent some serious money!"

Not that that is going to make them any money.

And that's all I've got to say about that subject :lol:

• Premium Member
About time - A dalsa sensor in the body of an Arricam LT is a Digital Camera Id actually be delighted to shoot on. Look forward to what this collaboration brings.

Erm...if that was possible, don't you think they would have done it by now?

That bar-fridge sized control box for the Origin has got to be a total turn-off. I don't think they would have used that design if they didn't have to.

Just sayin'

• Premium Member

Personally I'm hoping Arri goes the Aaton route and works on a "digi mag," like a digital back, perhaps creating one for their whole product line so i can smack a 1080 or 2K sensor into my SR3 when needed. It'll probably never happen; mind you, but who knows (If i had the money for a Penelope I'd go for that in a heartbeat once released).

Guest Stephen Murphy

Hi Keith,

Ive no idea if its possible or not but if anyone's likely to be able to deliver the Digital camera Id like to see then its Arri and Dalsa combined. Ive said before that i would like to have seen RED sell their sensor technology to Arri (or PV) so this is the next best thing; Better even, if we could have the picture quality of the Evolution in an Arricam Body. I think it will produce a digital camera thats a lot closer to what most Feature DP's want to see, compared to whats currently on offer from any manufacturer.

Adrian - You know Joe Dunton had a prototype of a HD mag for an SR3 quite a few years ago -no idea what heppened to it or who owns it now that he's gone to PV.

• Premium Member

Stephen, No didn't know that; if I was technically savvy in the least I'd try to tackle making my own; hopefully with such things as the Ikoniscopic (spelling?) cam coming out some other home-brew people might take cracks at such things. I really think that if one was to try to make money in D-Cinema that's where it'd be; as an acessory for the expensive kit/bodies we've already invested in. Plus it would save manufacturing costs a lot as you'd be making 1 small part which could modularity fit into multiple systems (inside "mags") as oppsed to whole systems. Bundle it up with storage in the "mag" as well and you're set. Maybe one day this'll all come true.

As for RED and the like; I think they're coming a long, but I really worry about what's going to happen once they get Scarlet out in terms of their need for supply chain/service centers etc. I could see just upkeep on their cameras sold, maintenance on them, really hurting their bottom line.

As for Dalsa/Arri. . . Can't wait to see what comes out of it, like I said. An Arri 4K camera based around the Dalsa imager would really shake things up though I would worry it would be prohibitively expensive to own.

Guest Stephen Murphy
though I would worry it would be prohibitively expensive to own.

yes it would - but why own when you can rent!?

• Premium Member

There's something about ownership which always appealed to me; and it lets me charge a nice kit fee when I go out to shoot ;)

Of course you're right; but even in such case as renting it out; the more she costs to buy the more she costs to rent and the less rental houses which'll have her (down here in Philadelphia, for example, there is no film-camera rental all- that I know of ! hence why buying the higher end stuff makes some sense). Of course were I in a Market like LA/NY then i'd have much less fetish to own of course.

That's "foe," by the way...

Actually except for a bunch of bad noise on this and other boards from the little-kids table there had been surprisingly little relevant information regarding DALSA from anyone in charge. That is, until yesterday's announcement from the third quarter financial statement. In case you skipped it, please refer to this sentence:

"The results of operations and financial position of DALSA?s Digital Cinema business unit have been segregated and presented separately as discontinued operations in the Company?s unaudited consolidated interim financial statements for the third quarter."

If anyone is still having trouble understanding just what is meant by "discontinued operations" some clarification exists on the DALSA financial conference call which can be listened to in its entirety here:

http://events.onlinebroadcasting.com/dalsa/103008/index.php

where you will hear from those individuals who actually sign the checks.

On another note, while I have a great deal of respect for Arriflex (and DALSA's sensor design and manufacturing capabilities) it is important to be realistic regarding the technical and engineering challenges inherent in merging a DALSA sensor into an Arri camera system. One does not just pry a CCD out of an Origin, solder it into a D21 and 'what-hey-presto' out pops a D22. Just creating a technical requirements document for such an endeavor will take a few months.

By the way, Keith, respectfully I think I can be the one to say: "I TOLD YOU SO." I certainly have stacks of blustery legal paperwork to back up that claim.

Alan Lasky

PROC

That's "foe," by the way...

Actually except for a bunch of bad noise on this and other boards from the little-kids table there had been surprisingly little relevant information regarding DALSA from anyone in charge. That is, until yesterday's announcement from the third quarter financial statement. In case you skipped it, please refer to this sentence:

"The results of operations and financial position of DALSA?s Digital Cinema business unit have been segregated and presented separately as discontinued operations in the Company?s unaudited consolidated interim financial statements for the third quarter."

If anyone is still having trouble understanding just what is meant by "discontinued operations" some clarification exists on the DALSA financial conference call which can be listened to in its entirety here:

http://events.onlinebroadcasting.com/dalsa/103008/index.php

where you will hear from those individuals who actually sign the checks.

On another note, while I have a great deal of respect for Arriflex (and DALSA's sensor design and manufacturing capabilities) it is important to be realistic regarding the technical and engineering challenges inherent in merging a DALSA sensor into an Arri camera system. One does not just pry a CCD out of an Origin, solder it into a D21 and 'what-hey-presto' out pops a D22. Just creating a technical requirements document for such an endeavor will take a few months.

By the way, Keith, respectfully I think I can be the one to say: "I TOLD YOU SO." I certainly have stacks of blustery legal paperwork to back up that claim.

Alan Lasky

PROC

First of all i really don't need your correction(s), but thanks anyways!

It seem to me you are still bitter about the past which i find hilarious....

Good luck to you :huh:

• Premium Member

Alan Lasky

PROC

Also respectfully, I'm not sure what you mean.

If you are pointing out that I'm not the only one saying "I told you so" no argument there! Might explain why the celluloid to mylar ratio doesn't seem to have shifted too much over the last 20 (or 50) years!

Or if not, what are you saying?

I respect the work that Dalsa have done in this field; if anybody was deserving of more success it was them. They have produced quality working products without drenching them in marketing hype or encouraging time-wasters to think they are going to take over Hollywood by the simple expedient of using one.

I think Arri's "minimalist" approach is more likely to eventally translate into more bums on seats that bums behind cameras :P

There's something about ownership which always appealed to me; and it lets me charge a nice kit fee when I go out to shoot ;)

Of course you're right; but even in such case as renting it out; the more she costs to buy the more she costs to rent and the less rental houses which'll have her (down here in Philadelphia, for example, there is no film-camera rental all- that I know of ! hence why buying the higher end stuff makes some sense). Of course were I in a Market like LA/NY then i'd have much less fetish to own of course.

Owning a particular camera depends on the market you personally are addressing. If you work on high end productions the economics may very well allow you to own a Arri D21, a Sony F23 or F35 or even, if it happens, a Dalsa sensor Arri. I expect it does suit Arri because it allows them to have a camera to compete with the Epic , with some possible advantages - although that may depend on the Epic's final spec.

Any professional kit only makes sense if the kit fee you charge covers all the costs involved and allows you to make a profit.

Guest Stephen Murphy
it is important to be realistic regarding the technical and engineering challenges inherent in merging a DALSA sensor into an Arri camera system. One does not just pry a CCD out of an Origin, solder it into a D21 and 'what-hey-presto' out pops a D22. Just creating a technical requirements document for such an endeavor will take a few months.

I dont think anyone is under the impression that it would be that easy Alan.

Guest Glen Alexander
That bar-fridge sized control box for the Origin has got to be a total turn-off.

They just needed a marketing group like JJ has, ha ha ha.

• Premium Member

So they needed their own online forum?

Ok.. sorry; I couldn't help the jab. RED, and Obama, I feel, are a good example of where a lot of advertising has been trending. Sucks for us; less money to make commercials!

for the Dalsa, the control box was a major turn off, I'm sure, but for what she did; put the damned box on wheels! Problem solved!

What does this mean for Origin and Evolution? I'm planning to shoot a feature on both once I get funding for it...but that's most likely a year or two off.

Probably means that when the day rises, you'll have a ton of options, but very few branded DALSA.

4 years, that's like... a lot in digital terms :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anybody know if the Dalsa Camera bodies are available for rent from somebody?

Two Evolution bodies are on hold/standby for a studio project that started shooting with them last year. Despite the many inquiries I've received about availability, AFAIK DALSA has made no concrete or public plans to rent them to anyone else.

A shame really, several high profile jobs were lining up for Evo cameras in 2009. Unless something remarkable and unexpected happens, all will end up shooting on another film or digital imaging format.

I.

• Premium Member

Yes, it really is a shame. Paramount closed their camera department, too. So, no more VistaVision. What are the feature guys gonna use for plates now?

It would be good both for Hollywood and for Dalsa if they'd put the existing cameras into the hands of a local rental house -- cut their losses, but still get a little income. If I were Dalsa, I'd sure be making my first phone call to Denny Clairmont.

-- J.S.

A shame really, several high profile jobs were lining up for Evo cameras in 2009. Unless something remarkable and unexpected happens, all will end up shooting on another film or digital imaging format.

yeah... I was hoping to shoot with them some time soon... Really want to get the uncompressed format. The only other 4k (35mm) cam. is Red and they seem dead set against an uncompressed feature on any of their cameras.