Panasonic AG-HVX200A or Sony PMW-EX3

John Michael Zervoulei

Hi,

I'm looking to invest in a new camera set-up and am trying to decide whether to go with the Panasonic AG-HVX200A or Sony PMW-EX3 cameras. I do freelance videography and editing on FCS2 and would appreciate hearing from any experienced users of either camera which one delivers more bang for the buck and would be the better long term investment for a fellow video professional.

Thanks,

JM

• 3 weeks later...

I work with the EX series all the time and am consistently blown away by just how much bang for your buck you get from them. Full 1920 x 1080 res onto the card is something to get excited about, variable frame, and a whole host of industry standard features (albeit scaled down a bit) like peaking, histograms, DOF scales, HD-SDI out etc etc.

I havnt worked with the 200A but it looks like its got some reasonably decent specs. It seems like it still comes with the pana 1280 by 720 chip though, so again it uprezzes to 1080.

The most obvious difference is the tape mech. Do you have the storage systems in place for working completely solid state, backing up every day to multiple drives, or do you need the security of a tape to archive each day? If you have the solution, go straight for an EX series camera. Seriously they kick a$$!!!

Do you need the 3 though? If youre considering the200A then the form factor obviously isnt a big thing. You'll save yourself a large chunk of change... 3 and a bit thousand dollars im guessing... by going for the EX1. Theres only 4 and a half differences:

Interchangable lens... seriously how often are you going to put another half inch lens on the front, and if using 2/3 inch b4 adaptor you get a 1.3x telephoto effect. No proper wide angle solution.

Manual control over frame rate as opposed to menu based

monocular viewfinder (which is based on the same lcd screen)

slightly more connectivity... gen lock, tc in, tc out, useful if you want a systems camera

and a semi shoulder mount design.

as i said, 4 and a half differences, a whole lot of extra cash (which you could spend on lights instead)

Hope this helps,

Ollie

Thanks. Actually, since I started this thread I finally made my decision to go for the EX1 last week for pretty much the same reasons you had listed (cheaper price than the EX3 for not too many important missing functions). So, now I'm getting playing around with trying to get my feel and understanding of how to work with it and all the extras down. Any advice on the features and using it? Also I'm thinking of ordering the Vector Media shoulder brace for it to help with handheld stuff since the 5lbs can be a bit awkward at times. Do you know if this is a good one to go with? Any other tips and accessories you'd recommend would be great. Along with the camera I picked up a 2-light Lowell light kit (from my old camera setup I already had two free standing lights so this brings my set to 4 available now) and a lavelier set (I also have 2 shotgun mics from the old setup). No on camera lights, though I'm considering one for when I'm on the move.

Thanks,

JM

I work with the EX series all the time and am consistently blown away by just how much bang for your buck you get from them. Full 1920 x 1080 res onto the card is something to get excited about, variable frame, and a whole host of industry standard features (albeit scaled down a bit) like peaking, histograms, DOF scales, HD-SDI out etc etc....

For picture profile recipes check here..http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/

And here for a vast improvement for the EX-1 viewfinder, everyone really likes it. http://www.hood-pro.com/

Also there have been some updates for the camera make sure to have them done before you get it sent to you so you don't have to seen it to Sony after you just get it.

You can also reap the benefits of using much cheaper media cards (no slow mo) but works all day, otherwise. All you need to know here.

http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

You will be very happy with the image from the Sony, can't compare to HVX. I have an EX-3 and I'm so glad I bought it.

Yeah, I heard there was a firmware update for the EX1 so it can use the 32GB cards. What about the others? Are they updates you can download from the net? If so, where can I find these?

Thanks,

JM

For picture profile recipes check here..http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/

And here for a vast improvement for the EX-1 viewfinder, everyone really likes it. http://www.hood-pro.com/

Also there have been some updates for the camera make sure to have them done before you get it sent to you so you don't have to seen it to Sony after you just get it.

You can also reap the benefits of using much cheaper media cards (no slow mo) but works all day, otherwise. All you need to know here.

http://www.glasseye.com.au/articles/sdassxs/

You will be very happy with the image from the Sony, can't compare to HVX. I have an EX-3 and I'm so glad I bought it.

• 1 month later...

The 200a definitely has it's own look right out of the box. I've used both, and the Pannys image looks so much more filmic in it's tonal rendition and colorspace right from the get go.

But, like everyone says, the EX1 and EX3 are very sharp. But, they do use CMOS sensors meanings rolling shutter and partial exposure issues. The EX series cams do tend to lean more towards the videoish side of things, I've even had a producer ask me "Is there any way you can get this camera to look like the panasonic HD one?" (meaning HVX)

I've gotten good results with both. The HVX does seem more noisy, with a less professional form factor and a servo focus ring. Another aspect of both is their CODECS, one being LongGOP one being IFRAME. You know the discussion that follows that...

Hope I was of some help

• Premium Member
I havnt worked with the 200A but it looks like its got some reasonably decent specs. It seems like it still comes with the pana 1280 by 720 chip though, so again it uprezzes to 1080.

Hi,

The Panasonic does not have 1280 x 720 chip, it's actually much less, I think the camera is overated & blown away by an EX1/3

Stephen

I disagree with Steven whole heartedly, and would encourage you to take his advice with a grain of salt.

If the camera was so overrated and capable of being so easily "blown" away, it wouldn't have revolutionized the indie filmmaking industry and found it's way into the hands of so many users. The EX1 camera is definitely a nice camera, but there are more than several major drawbacks,. Everything is a tradeoff.

The 200a is definitely an improvement over the original 200, and I have had clients purposely ask me not to use the EX after seeing side by side tests, because they preferred the "Panny" look. And this is for narrative work.

The EX1 done have a stunning amount of resolution on it's side though, at the cost of a global shutter, Iframe recording, and several other things. Not to mention the horrible handheld ergonomics. Coming from a documentary filmmaker, believe me both Ex1 and 3 are a nightmare to handhold for long periods of time.

I would personally look into the HPX170 if I were you.

• Premium Member
Well then I dont know what constitutes impressive for you, but I think it looks great. It's all subjective.

Hi,

You own an HVX 200, so you have a reason to believe & tell people the HVX is a great camera. I don't & think I am being more objective than you. FWIW I would never buy an HVX 200.

Stephen

But I have rented the operated the EX3 and EX1 also, for different jobs, and I can say that both cameras make beautiful images but are for different purposes. And both have major tradeoffs. If I'm doing alot of handheld work I won't use the ex3, I get jello vision.