16/35 cam short course at NFTS

Hi,

I know there's been extensive discussions here recently about the NFTS - but I'm interested to find out if anyone has experience of one of their short courses, as I am considering signing up for one next week. The course is '16mm/35mm Camera Familiarisation' (4 days), run in association with the GBCT.

I've heard good things from others who have attended other non-camera courses there. But I'd be really grateful to hear from anyone who has done this course or similar camera courses at the school. Basically, are they worth the money, and given what I want to get of it, is it worth it for me?

As an assistant I've worked almost entirely in wildlife film-making, and have worked a lot with Arri SRs and also with an Arri 3-C (modified to Super 35). I'm keen to expand into drama production (have done some freebie shorts), and hope this course would be a good introduction to Panavision (which I've never dealt with) and newer Arri 35mm cameras, as well as to kit like follow focuses and remote focuses that I have next to no experience of, and perhaps to working practices in drama production.

I'm hoping the course will teach me to set up and load a variety of cameras. But if I've got hands-on experience of loading and setting up the cameras I mentioned, will I learn enough beyond this for the course to be worth it? Is it a good thing to have an NFTS course on my CV anyway? And are the courses useful in terms of making industry contacts? Basically, is the course going to improve my chances of landing a loader or trainee position?

Many thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Cheers,

Adam

To be frank, I can't answer your question as I haven't been on the course but to me it would make more sense to contact the facilities houses such as Arri and Panavision directly first of all . As you are already working as an assistant, and not green when it comes to cameras, I'm sure it won't be that difficult to hang out for a day or two or more looking at kit. Just call them up, explain your situation that you want a little experience with some different types of camera etc. and see what they say. This is a very usual occurrence for them. I don't know what Panavision London's like, but in Manchester they are always very nice and helpful. As for contacts sometimes you meet different people testing equipment. Or you get to find out which are the next big films that these houses will be supplying so you can contact the camera crew before anybody else. You never know, you might get work out of it.

Hope things work out!

Edited by MorganPeline