Snow Shoot

Travis Cline

Hello all

I know its a bit early yet, but I am wondering if anyone has shot with the RED in the snow? I am shooting a feature that is to take place mainly in the snow, plenty of ext. day, and the director and I are both cautious. We would like to shoot on the RED for budgetary reasons, but would feel safer on film. We are obviously going to shoot tests, but if anyone has shot an ext. day in the snow let me know what experience you had. Thanks.

Travis

RED should perform fine if it's nicely lit/exposed/bounced in the snow especially since snow scenes are inherently low contrast. Personally I would be using a lot of grads and negative fill to introduce a bit of contrast, but even then it certainly shouldn't be anything RED couldn't handle.

Actually shooting in snow is very high contrast, especially if the sun is out. Also, while better than most other video cameras, the RED has problems maintaining highlights, especially compared to 35mm, hence my question. Thanks for the information about the batteries and the fan, I had not thought about the fan. I always have problems with video cameras in the cold, but I had not thought about the fan sucking in cold air. Has anyone shot in below freezing temperatures with it yet? I shot in near freezing temperatures this week and didn't really have a problem, but I wouldn't expect that either. Shooting near 0 degrees C is not that cold anyway. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Travis

You might talk to Kennan Ward.

http://www.kennanward.com/alaska/Site/_.html

He shot a bunch of Red One footage in Alaska recently. I'm not sure how much he shot in snow, though, since it was shot in the summer.

There are a bunch of Red guys in Norway who might be able to help you.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3252