David Higgs in RockNRolla

Spencer Hutchins

Although I don't think many would see this movie as groundbreaking cinematography, I did however enjoy the exterior scenes in which the muted colors and over exposed skies were utilized. post-35610-1226000310.jpg

Also, specifically in the scene where Gerard Butler is running from the over zealous Russians, there's a very...gritty, realistic? feel to it. post-35610-1226000361.jpg

Being that I am still a student, and haven't worked all that much with film I was curious of professionals opinions about how both of these were achieved. Was it indeed all about the secrets to cinematography and specifics Mr. Higgs did as far as stock, camera, lighting? Or was it just a great collaboration with those departments meshed with art direction, wardrobe and make-up?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Edited by Spencer Hutchins

Guest Stephen Murphy
Was it indeed all about the secrets to cinematography and specifics Mr. Higgs did as far as stock, camera, lighting?

this was shot on the Arri D20

• Premium Member

What i find most interesting is that IMDB for this film considered the D-20 "HDV."

As for how it looks; i would say a combo of lighting/location, and color correction. I mean, look t your 2nd shot there, if he was wearing a red shirt, the shot would be; well, shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Although I don't think many would see this movie as groundbreaking cinematography, I did however enjoy the exterior scenes in which the muted colors and over exposed skies were utilized. post-35610-1226000310.jpg

i believe that the overexpose skies are common in English films shot in their country itself.

As the weather is so changeable here in the UK, unless the director doesn't want it, I tend to overexpose slightly the skies for an overcast look.

I did it recently on a day as mentioned above and it worked a treat for continuity purpose.

I must stress that will give the sky an overcast look (which is the UK sky for about 80% of the year).

Edited by Serge Teulon

• 12 years later...