American Cinematographer October 1995

Jamie Lewis

Anybody (ASC archives, anybody here?) have the Seven article from October 1995, digitally? I'd like to read that article but at $75 for the issue I can't justify the cost for only a few pages. Only if this was ever in their $1 back issue sales but it never is.

Edited by Jamie Lewis

Search google and you can sometimes find dealers who sell old ACs for like $1 each. I bought a bunch of them last year. If you can't find this issue, PM me and I will dig through my email records and try to find the dealer who sold me all mine.

Anybody (ASC archives, anybody here?) have the Seven article from October 1995, digitally? I'd like to read that article but at $75 for the issue I can't justify the cost for only a few pages. Only if this was ever in their $1 back issue sales but it never is.

Many university libraries have them. Go to a good university library near you.

On the subject of "Seven", Darius Khondji has a great commentary track on the special edition DVD, you should definitely check it out if you are interested in his work on the film. The Fincher commentary track is great as well.

I would also suggest checking a university or public library, I've got a copy of the "Seven" AC article that I copied from microfiche. Other good resources on the film include the Khondji chapters in "Cinematography Screencraft", "New Cinematographers" and "Reflections" books.

Egad! None of my libraries or schools near by have it, microfilm or otherwise!

Mike, I have the DVD and listened to it a few times. A nicely fleshed out DVD. As far as your suggestions of Cinematography Screencraft, New Cinematographers and Reflections, they've been on my "wish list" for a while. Nice to know there's some more information in those.

Well, if anybody comes across a source of where I can read that article, send it along. Looks like I'm at a dead end unless I drop the $75.

Egad! None of my libraries or schools near by have it, microfilm or otherwise!

Mike, I have the DVD and listened to it a few times. A nicely fleshed out DVD. As far as your suggestions of Cinematography Screencraft, New Cinematographers and Reflections, they've been on my "wish list" for a while. Nice to know there's some more information in those.

Well, if anybody comes across a source of where I can read that article, send it along. Looks like I'm at a dead end unless I drop the $75.

There must be some library that has them wherever you are... I know the American Film Institute Library on Western and Franklin has copies of all the back issues if you're in the LA area. You can easily read it there. Or if not there are a lot of online library resources where you can find articles. But the libraries should definitely have copies of the books Mike mentioned: all three have all the info on Se7en and much more.

Edited by Richard Vialet

• Premium Member

Jamie, where are you located? I'm out of town on a shoot right now, but I THINK I have a duplicate copy of the October 1995 issue - if I recall I think I bought some back issues from ebay a few years ago and the seller accidentally sent some of the wrong issues so I found myself with an extra one.

I won't be back home until after Thanksgiving, so if you can wait that long I'd be happy to sell it to you. I think I paid about 5 bucks for it - lemme know if that sounds fair to you.