schools for Cinematography

navyav

HI everyone,

I am Naveen and i work as a software engineer, i was looking to apply to some good cinematography program colleges but not sure which ones to go for and which one would give me an admit without a strong profile. I have worked with the SLR camera but not extensively.

Please suggest me some colleges.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Naveen

Hi, Naveen!

There are various programs in many different places, so the best way for you to determine what is best for your situation, is to take a look at the all the schools in your area or wherever you're interested in living and look for schools there.

And you're in luck! I've updated the list of filmschools at http:/www.whatireallywanttodo.com with 146 schools in 40 US states and 555 schools in 65 other countries around the world!  

Find the schools that you're interested in, then contact each for more information about their cinematography program. If possible, speak with the professors and some current students for their input.

You can get random opinions from forums like this, but the best way to know what you're getting from a school, is to contact them and ask.

Good luck!

Brian, there's something wrong with your link.

There's an extra http in there.

Oh, that's irritating isn't it.

You didn't say where you lived, so I'll input this anyway. National Film and Television School somewhere near London does a cinematography course.

Edited by Matthew Buick

You didn't say where you lived, so I'll input this anyway. National Film and Television School somewhere near London does a cinematography course.

Just to add to that. Roger Deakins went there. But I don't want to say that will make it automatically a good school. Schools don't make you professional, but they can help. Anywho, hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Just to add to that. Roger Deakins went there. But I don't want to say that will make it automatically a good school. Schools don't make you professional, but they can help. Anywho, hope you find what you're looking for. :)

I'm going to try and get in there in about four years time. I can't think of much I want do more, except perhaps go to space!

Thanks a lot for all you help and suggestions guys. I am in Cedar Rapids, IOWA U.S.A. I am looking for a school which would give a lot of pratical approach and learn as much as i can. And i am checking the list gave me.

Thanks a ton :)

Naveen

Thanks a lot for all you help and suggestions guys. I am in Cedar Rapids, IOWA U.S.A. I am looking for a school which would give a lot of pratical approach and learn as much as i can. And i am checking the list gave me.

Thanks a ton :)

Naveen

I live in Iowa myself, and I'm planning to attend Columbia College Chicago. It's a really nice school. The director I'm working with goes there and told me that they are rated in the top 5 for cinematography in the nation. Also, incidently, Janusz Kaminski went there. :)

Although I didn't attend Columbia here in Chicago I have heard only good things. I went to the Art Institute which is blocks away from Columbia, and I would say that they are less practical in terms of post graduate potential, outside of the art world.

I think Columbia College would be a good choice. I would have gone there myself, but at the time they didn't have much computer equipment and I also couldn't get as much financial aid there.

Tom