Simulating a coming storm on a bright sunny day

I am a film student and am going to be shooting a short soon and the script calls for the clouds to roll in to signify a coming storm. I was wondering if anyone had any good techniques for faking this effect on a bright sunny day since that is the only time we are going to be able to shoot this and scheduling for storms is kinda tough. Thank you.

• Premium Member
I am a film student and am going to be shooting a short soon and the script calls for the clouds to roll in to signify a coming storm.  I was wondering if anyone had any good techniques for faking this effect on a bright sunny day since that is the only time we are going to be able to shoot this and scheduling for storms is kinda tough.  Thank you.

You're probably going to have to time lapse real clouds coming in, unless you have a very talented 3D animator in your midst.

• Premium Member

Do you have to show the clouds in order to signify the approaching storm? Couldn't you have a TV or radio playing in a scene with a weather person talking about the impending storm and then film the actors preparing for it? (closing storm windows, getting umbrellas etc? Or film the scene at dusk and have the actors looking at the sky and commenting on the black clouds but don't show their POV.

And since you can't dial down the sun at your command, you could instead place an actor in frame as if they're looking out a window, key the actor with say a 10K and then to give the impression as if clouds were reducing the amount of light you could employ a dimmer or better yet a metal venetian shutter over the light.

Edited by Wendell_Greene