Cheapest Processing in UK?

Ryan Kent

Is there anywhere in the UK that processes Super 8 relatively cheaply? Or for that matter, if it would be cheaper sending it elsewhere?

I'm completely new to this, sorry.

I've done some research and found that http://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/ based in the UK process Ektachrome 64T for £11.99. Is that any good?

Also, how easy/complicated is it to self-edit super8 film on a splicer? There are some on eBay quite cheap. I only want to stick it on Final Cut Pro after editing it manually.

I'm not planning on shooting a masterpiece. If anything I want to experiment, perhaps something along the lines of Derek Jarman, early Lars Von Trier shorts, or Stan Brakhage - which is why I don't want to spend a fortune.

Treat me as a complete dunce, please.

• Premium Member

Why dunce?

Ryan, have you ever thought of the hundreds of thousands if not millions of professionals and amateurs who edited their 8-mm films since 1932 or 16-mm since 1923 or ninepointfive since Christmas 1921?

Of course you can cut and splice it together. Movies are still made that way, be it 35-mm film or 65-mm film or 70-mm film in the cinemas. Projectionists also splice.

One more thing: Let me suggest you walk along your own line and forget the Jarmans, Triers and Brakhages. They only stand in your way.

Hi Ryan,

yes, use Blue. But I don't think anyone actually PROCESSES super 8 film in the UK commercially anymore ... it all goes to the continent or the USA. the last super 8 processing was done by todd ao who processed colour neg super 8. But no more. But yes, Blue, or the widescreen centre will handle it for you. Shoot some film!

rt

Why dunce?

Ryan, have you ever thought of the hundreds of thousands if not millions of professionals and amateurs who edited their 8-mm films since 1932 or 16-mm since 1923 or ninepointfive since Christmas 1921?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I know I can edit my own films at home. I was just curious as to how difficult it is for a first-timer. I didn't want to end up cutting too much and not being able to stick it bak together properly.

And the dunce thing because I've never used film before, i'm completely new to it. I've used 35mm SLR's but that's about it.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I know I can edit my own films at home. I was just curious as to how difficult it is for a first-timer. I didn't want to end up cutting too much and not being able to stick it bak together properly.

And the dunce thing because I've never used film before, i'm completely new to it. I've used 35mm SLR's but that's about it.

Thanks for the info.

with an editor and a tape splicer is quite easy. Using the editor u can mark exactly the frame u wanna cut and tape splicing is dead easy.

with an editor and a tape splicer is quite easy. Using the editor u can mark exactly the frame u wanna cut and tape splicing is dead easy.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll try and get my hands on the equipment and give it all a go anyway.

Hi Ryan,

But I don't think anyone actually PROCESSES super 8 film in the UK commercially anymore ... it all goes to the continent or the USA. the last super 8 processing was done by todd ao who processed colour neg super 8. But no more.

rt

Film and Photo Ltd in Acton can process super 8. They run ECN2 and E6. Tel: 0208 992 0037.

Brian

I've just had 3 films developed for £30 (including return postage) from Dwaynes in US. Takes a little while to post but is pretty cheap. Was cheaper a few months ago when the Dollar was weaker/Pound stronger. I think this is the cheapest I've found though sendeancameras.com do really good deals - think it was £100 to buy, process and telecine 3 films.