Arri 16S

Dustin Hicks

I just got my Arri 16S up and running. Thanks for giving the advice on the RC Car batteries. I powered it up using audio cables that plug in good-n-tight, and hooked it up to a 7.2v Nikko battery which seems to power up the variable speed motor just fine.

The next question I have is about the film. As far as I can tell, Kodak discontinued the double-perf film, and is now only making single-perf super-16mm film. Anyone have a clue as to how I can locate any type of film that will run through the Arri-S? I'm assuming you could still run single perf film as long as it's not Super-16 format.

I don't really care much about different types of film right now, since I'm just wanting to test it all out at the moment.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dustin Hicks

Well I feel like a fool! Thanks for your quick response, Tim.

I should be about ready to shoot, once I get the film, then. I've got a magnetic reel-to-reel tape recorder coming soon, so once sound is up and running, and film is here, it should be set!

Thanks a lot for your help, Tim, especially for the RC car battery idea!

~Dustin Hicks

Hey, Dustin

What sort of tape recorder is it that you have and at which studio will you have your recordings transferred ?

Hi Simon,

I couldn't find any pictures of the tape recorder I am having sent to me (my mom is sending it to me from home; used to use it when I was a kid), but I did find an Ebay auction of what that seems to be exactly like it, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SONY-REEL-TO-R...%3A1|240%3A1318

It's just a reel-to-reel tape recorder. Hopefully it'll serve it's purpose decently enough.

If you have a better suggestion for sound (keep in mind that I am in the military, and we don't get paid a whole lot of money), I'd be willing to listen.

As for the studio. I figured the best place I could find (I haven't been able to find many places catering to joe-shmo) is Alpha Cine Seattle:

http://www.alphacine.com/startproject/pdfratecard.php

Again, if you know of a better way/place to go to get everything put together into a print, etc, I'd be more than willing to listen.

Thanks!

Dustin Hicks

• Premium Member

Hey, great! In case the Jap doesn't want to serve you any longer switch to your cell phone or MP3 player which should allow HiFi recording. I'm not too good in these things.

I guess you saw this with Alphacine:

Q. Sound Transfers

1/4" or DAT to 16mm fullcoat or 35mm edit stripe is available at $45/hr. There is a half hour minimum and sound stock is not included in the hourly rate.

Have fun.