shooting action

Clark Branum

Hello there I'm new to the forum and I'm looking fior sine help with camera settings for the

HD 110U. I seem to get a lot of motion blur with action footage. I shoot with different frames rates but I prefer the look of 24P. Just looking for some good settings or advice here,

Thanks

Move with the subject and do not move fast unless that is the effect you want to create, like a sweep. Then its motivated and works for you. The motion blur is a native cousin of the film world and some people rather have it than not. Work with it but remember to follow your subject and don't make haste.

You can also turn on the smoothing function in the menu, but I think if you do you restrict or create repeat flags, I'm not 100% sure which.

Move with the subject and do not move fast unless that is the effect you want to create, like a sweep. Then its motivated and works for you. The motion blur is a native cousin of the film world and some people rather have it than not. Work with it but remember to follow your subject and don't make haste.

You can also turn on the smoothing function in the menu, but I think if you do you restrict or create repeat flags, I'm not 100% sure which.

Thanks for the input, I can't decide if the motion smoothing filter helps or makes it worse.

45 degrees equals 1/198th of a second roughly. You are shooting at 1/148th I assume.

Changing shutter speeds will also change your exposure accordingly.

24p shutter speeds in the 110U go from1/6 through 1/1000 plus variable

Slower shutter speeds tend to create more motion blur.

• 8 months later...

"I seem to get a lot of motion blur with action footage."

I was wondering (quasi-asked above already) if you were shooting at 1/12th (which will be more blurred) or 1/24th?

I own an HD110 myself and shoot 1/24th for action and don't have much of a motion-blurring problem. Video doesn't exactly match film in the way it records motion (yes, stating the obvious - bear with me). Digital motion blur isn't the smooth transition that film is - too slow and it becomes almost like 2 semi-blurred still frames merged (hope that makes sense - it's kinda like a double exposure) - and on the opposite end, if you shoot with the 110 any faster than 1/48th shutter speed then it really WILL look like a series of still frames.

This can be very useful if you're going for a staccato effect on purpose, but if your goal is to just be able to see action clearly than it might be going overkill and jarring for the viewer.

Hope this helps-

-Lew

• 11 months later...

shooting action is like shooting drama. 24p at 1/48th for film, dvd or bluray. Follow the action. If you go off the established path, you've got to have a good reason.. like a high shutter speed such as "Saving Private Ryan" and "Battlestar Galactica". It's soooo over used these days, you might want to shoot standard shutter all the way through since everyone is expecting the faster shutter speed these days. Just a thought.