Menace arm kit and speed-c manufacturer

Anton Delfino

My understanding is it's a long arm that is used to extend over the set to hold something, usually a light. They can be made out of 2x4 or C-stand junk. Some lighting manufactures have prefab rigs...

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=produc...oducts_ID=24093

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=produc...oducts_ID=26679

Menace arms are great for location interiors.

The menace arm is not just a boom. The menace arm is a boom that extends beyond the reach of a boom. most boom arms only go to about 10' max. the menace arm can be made to go up to 18' ( 20' speedrail with 2' off the backside for counterweight). The new Max and mini max from matthews can accoplish that as well, but it is another specific use piece of gear taking up space in the truck. you can stiffen a menace arm by using speedrail shotguns/over unders for a double pipe or speed rail triangle truss fittings ( heavy). the true menace arm has a mast for a stiffening rope or ratchet strap. while you can use a 20x ear and a cardelini to fashion one quick you run the risk of bending your speed rail permanently. the light will also bounce around alot as you focus it.

I havent used to matthews MAX nor mini MAX. anyone have a review of them?

The key grip I do commercials with has a MaxMenace. It works pretty well and can hold a lot of weight at a long extension. He says it supposedly can support an 18k. It doesn't work well in hard to get to spaces and can be a pain maneuvering across cables or uneven ground, but I would say is worth the investment. It has saved us a time or two when there was nothing to rig to.

I was at Matthews last month, interviewing the CEO for an article I am writing for a magazine. I had a chance to play with the Mini Max. It's pretty sweet, perfect for when you have a low ceiling, nothing to mount to and you have been forbidden from using other means to physically attach things to the walls/ceilings like spreaders and PoleCats. You know, when you need to float a small 150 or 300 as a hair or kicker in a wide shot where you would see a stand or traditional boom arm. Also handy for getting a small source light outside a second story window quickly.

I really was impressed with the Mini Max and featured it in the article. It will be in the February '09 issue of www.hdvideopro.com magazine. A handy tool. The regular Max is pretty big and yes, it does take up some serious space on the truck.

Best,

Dan

Is it really better than a C- boom or regular boom pole?

As the owner of a Manfrotto 9' matte boom pole, I would say yes, it is quicker and safer to rig and doesn't really need anything in the way of arm counterbalance. Yes, it does need some sandbagging at the base. But if I try to rig, say an Arri 300 at the end of my 9' Manfrotto pole, I am only going to get perhaps 6-7' of extension because I will have to shift the fulcrum point so far forward. The Mini Max eliminates these issues. I like it.

You would probably want to check one out in person. If you are in LA, stop by the Matthews lobby in Burbank, they have one on display you could check out. If you are never in LA, might be more difficult to find one you could check out.

Dan