OUTDOOR BLUE SCREEN

Dave Plake

Ive got three subjects...couple of wide shots that will include feet..all blue screen...call time at 4pm so we have daylight and we shoot into the night. What do you recommend to light the wall and subjects. Just a clean key for the subjects, nothing too specific. Even light on the blue screen obviously. I have questions regarding color temp since we are going from day into night. I have only tungsten lights to work with.

Or is this just a bad idea and we should go with either day or night.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Guest shane grace

If you have the time to match your night-time blue-screen stuff with your daytime stuff there will be no problem (you will need to use a colour-temp meter and alot of fine-tuning the correction gels for your lights to accurately match your daytime stuff)

You may also have ambient daylight falling onto your subjects and blue screen which just causes more head-aches in trying to match that with your night-time stuff.

If your producer isnt flexible, let them know its going to take longer to balance night time/studio shots (which is pretty much how you will be shooting) to your daytime shots and vice versa. Let them know you can get more done when the shooting conditions are constant.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there is a scripted reason to go from day into night you are just asking for unnecessary trouble. Do it all at night or in a studio. I don't know how big your screen is but you can light a 12x screen OK with two bounced or diffed 5K's or 9-lights if you can live with the level.

Edited by J. Lamar King