DI for anamorphic shot film

AmatEscalante

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any examples of DI features that have been shot with anamorphic optics, 35mm 4 perf.

What would be the minimum resolution recommended to work in post with this? 2K, 4K?

Basically it would be to keep that anamorphic lens look in shooting but the flexibility of a DI in post.

• Premium Member

Please don't do a DI on a short that's shot on anamorphic and where all your prints will be struck from the original neg. That's the best quality you're ever going to get!

If you really have to do a DI, try to do it at 4K, 2K is just nor good enough.

Guest tylerhawes

Obviously you CAN do a 2K DI on an anamorphic 35mm film and it certainly won't look bad, especially to audiences who seem content with MP3 music and online streaming video. But definitely anamorphic starts presenting a strong case for 4K DI whereas it's a harder sell with spherical. The main reason is all the resizing that will need to be done for various release formats, both print and digital. You need the 4K for oversampling.

OK. Thank you very much.

I probably wont go DI+35 anamorphic.

I have access to 35mm camera and anamorphic lenses and I love the look of anamorphics, but i just wish I could have the control of the image as with a digital intermediate.

All the best.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
OK. Thank you very much.

I probably wont go DI+35 anamorphic.

I have access to 35mm camera and anamorphic lenses and I love the look of anamorphics, but i just wish I could have the control of the image as with a digital intermediate.

All the best.

Hi. If you are not in a big hurry, maybe I have something that would interest you.

I recently started my own DI service, but since we are in the phase of testing and tunning the scanner (it is a used unit so we have to veriivy this) I can offer you a free service.

There is a 3k or 4k anamorphic setup in scanner's console - I m sure of that.

The deal is simple, I will use your shots to show the capabilities of of our scanning system, and you will have scanning for free.

You can look at the first scans here:

http://gallery.me.com/pawel.saladziak#100017

These are done without any cleanning of the machine and without any calibration or focusing or aligment test just to check what is wrong and what we have to do with the tech. guys.

But as you can see the last one that was focused properly (but sill has the bandings from dirt) is quite nice.

What do you think about it?

best regards

Pawel

you can reach me at my pro. email: pawel.saladziak@menatwork.pl

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Congrats on the scan system, Pawel. From what I can gather, here, Europe needs help with low-budg production. I hope to see good things come out of your neighborhood.

O yes, indeed :) specially for freelancing Don Kichote's like me :)

Believe it or not, but it was cheaper for me to buy, transport and revitalize the cine scanner for me than put into my budget digitalization costs.

Scanner is running perfectly now and only thing that I am dealing with right now is getting rid of a dust in scanner's room.

So every beginning DP that needs free professional scanning now is welcomed as for first half of year my service will be free of any charges on every service up to 18000 frames. This is a limited option for first 25 DP's or producers or any cinematography.com members that want to have their footage turned into DI.

And by the way, does anyone knows where to put such an announcement.

Pawel.

• Premium Member
Please don't do a DI on a short that's shot on anamorphic and where all your prints will be struck from the original neg. That's the best quality you're ever going to get!

If you really have to do a DI, try to do it at 4K, 2K is just nor good enough.

The only problem is that the labs are now mothballing their optical and grading gear. Probably to offset the costs and force their clients into their new DI suites.

As far as I know there's nowhere in Australia you can get a traditional optical film finish. Sad.

jb

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any examples of DI features that have been shot with anamorphic optics, 35mm 4 perf.

What would be the minimum resolution recommended to work in post with this? 2K, 4K?

Basically it would be to keep that anamorphic lens look in shooting but the flexibility of a DI in post.

There are many many ways to keep an anamorphic image looking great during a 2K DI if the scanning and filmout are done correctly.