Guest Tim Partridge

I find Dick Bush (certainly the legend) to be a fascinating character and an at times remarkable cinematographer with wonderful work to his name- I'd be curious if anyone had any info on the apparently "self-priorisiting" cinematographer.

Maybe they will make a movie. :lol:

• Premium Member
So Tim, any idea who the first DP was on "Excalibur" that was replaced by Alex Thomson?

Wasn't it Tony Pierce Roberts?

I worked as a 2nd AC on Hound of the Baskervilles (my first film!)and on Victor Victoria when they had multiple camera work. He also asked me to do Yanks which I er.... turned down. There was a long break on Hounds of the Baskervills because the director became very ill. I wasn't able to go back and do the last three weeks due to other commitments, I suspect it may have been the same for 'Mr' Bush. As far as walking off a Cameron film, I don't think thats a very exclusive club.

Dick Bush's personal life was very evident in forming some of his character traits IMO. He could be very unreasonable and seldom took responsibility for errors. He was quite famous for it. I remember going to rushes on Victor Victoria where the 1st AC, Ronnie Anscome (an extremely knowledgable and old school technician - great man) was being slaughterd for getting the ENTIRE nightclub scene soft. The problem (rather obviously) was that Bush had lit the entire scene with very low key VERY flat, pink light. It was perfectly obvious to most people that there was just no bite anywhere. Its wasn't until you saw a close up of Julie Andrews and her eyelight, clearly as sharp as a pin that ANYTHING looked sharp. But it was very obviously the light. He wouldn't have it.

I found him a bit creepy, he used to call me 'laddy'...... :blink: hence I turned down Yanks.

And that picture looks nothing like him by the way......

• Premium Member

I never heard John Wilcox associated with Hound of the Baskervilles, Dick Bush certainly started it. Maybe John was involved in pre production?

It was probably the unfunniest comedy ever to hit the screen (too many close ups), but it was some of the funniest weeks of my life. It was like working with a whos who of British comedy of the time.

We shot it with a Technovision camera..... shudder. :blink: In fact I seem to remeber Dick Bush shot with there stuff a fair bit at the time - terrible stuff.

• Premium Member

All I know was that the original DP was an older chap, so that would rule out McDonald and Pierce-Roberts. Helen Mirren told me (on the "Shadowboxer" shoot) that it was rumored that he had just bought a new meter and somehow underexposed all of the first few days' footage just when the financers were visiting the production (she wasn't there for that part of shooting so even this is second-hand). All of that scene had to be reshot (the opening battle under firelight in the forest) by Thomson. Boorman alludes to this in the commentary track of the DVD. Anyway, I was just curious as to who the first DP was. The film was certainly a big break for Thomson.

• Premium Member
All I know was that the original DP was an older chap, so that would rule out McDonald and Pierce-Roberts. 

It was Tony Pierce Roberts - my usually reliable source agrees with me :P

Peter McDonald never considered himself a DP that I remember, though he did direct and light many second units as you know. Great operator.

Maybe someone else was involved in pre prod, but TPR was the one replaced. A lot of politics on that show, but the good side was it gave Alex the platform he deserved ....... just my opinion......

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...