16mm black and white processing in Europe

Hampus Bystrom

Hey people,

I've just learned after, initial misinformation, that my lab in Stockholm doesn't process black and white film. I've tried searching this forum (the searchengine is a bit flawed) and googling it and maybe my googling skillz are subpar, but I haven't found any good information on this.

So, where in Europe can you get your black and white super16 film developed, cheapest, most effective, and best possible way?

Cheers!

By the way, do they x-ray airmail and stuff? If I where to send my 4000 ft. of film in a box, is there anyway to secure that they won't x-ray it?

• Premium Member

Hi Hampus,

yes they do 16mm B&W. They processed a roll of Fomapan for me a couple of months ago. They aren't cheap though. Well, to be honest, I think the lab I've dealt with here in Vienna charged way too much for shipping. So maybe if you ship it to Berlin yourself it might be cheaper after all. And a fellow board member told me that Foma do their processing as well. Might give that a try too!

Cheers, Dave

Wow cheers, I still think it's a bit pricey tough. I mean here in Sweden the prize is 0.7 EUR / m and that's for color negative 16mm.

You would think that BW reversal would be cheaper, but I guess that it's so unusual nowadays that the prices go up.

Oh, anyway I'll give Andec a call, now my budget will go up *SADFACE*

Who develops Foma R in CZ?

there was also a lab in Portugal atom43 that used to do it. Dunno if they r still around. U need reversal, right? because I think nordisc film process bw neg. when io bought orwo from dancan in denmark they suggested nordic film co. for processing. Maybe if you want to do it yourself, i can lend you my tanks after january when i come back from holidays.

Wow Richard that's really nice. I've thought about doing that, but haven't really deared. I've processed Tri-X negative 35mm still film, with fairly good results. Is it hard to process 16mm, I would like good results, but I'm not picky, I can like the Guy Maddineqsue grainy experimental imagery.

Anyways, maybe Nordic Film does process 16mm b/w reversal, I've just checked with Stockholm Post Production, and they said that I had to send b/w reversal to Germany. Might've been some confusion tough. I'll check with em!

Hi Color by Dejonghe (Belgium) can do the job. I never sent 16mm BW for processing ( I sent 16mm color negative and S8 and 16 / S16 telecine to hard disk) but they are very professional and I´m very happy with the job done.

Email them to

Aaike De Jonghe

Color by DeJonghe / full service postproduction

ANALOGUE & DIGITAL

Diksmuidekaai 4 / 8500 Kortrijk / Belgium

T:+32 56 350 710 / F: +32 56 350 780

@: aaike@postproduction.be

W: www.postproduction.be

This is the price list from a months ago:

S16 & 35mm cost:

standard processing of 16 and 35mm color negative is 0,47 euro/ meter (cleaning included)

standard processing of 16 and 35mm B&Wnegative is 0,62 euro/ meter (cleaning included)

Edited by andres victorero

By the way, onto a related but different question.

I've been encouraged to telecine to HDCAM-SR 4:4:4, which I have found a post house capable of here in Stockholm.

The thing is, what the hell is HDCAM-SR exactly? I know it's a sort of tape format that can hold 10bit 4:4:4 information. But around there my knowledge of this format ends. Forgive my ignorance so far, but I'm a beginner who has recently scored some cash to make a short film, and I want to do EVERYTHING myself to keep the production costs to a minimum.

My workflow is somewhat makeshift at this point:

Shoot S16 Tri-x Reversal

Develop at Color by Dejonghe

Telecine to HDCAM-SR > some sort of Final Cut integrated disc

Edit in Final Cut Pro

Burn a Blu-ray disc for Stockholm Film Festival, Sundance Festival and several other Swedish festivals

Is this what you would prescribe?

I've been told to master in HDCAM-SR, but I don't really know how you use the HDCAM-SR format properly.

Anyway, thanks for all your help

• Premium Member
By the way, onto a related but different question.

I've been encouraged to telecine to HDCAM-SR 4:4:4, which I have found a post house capable of here in Stockholm.

The thing is, what the hell is HDCAM-SR exactly? I know it's a sort of tape format that can hold 10bit 4:4:4 information. But around there my knowledge of this format ends.

Hi Hampus,

why not have the telecine house do the transfer directly to harddrive? That could be done with the best possible quality and saves you the expense and hassle of renting a HDCAM deck to capture to your editing/grading system. HDCAM-SR is a beefed up version of the original HDCAM. It records 1920x1080 at 4:2:2 10bit or 4:4:4 RGB (MPEG-4 at 440 MBit/s). But if I were you I'd save myself the hassle of dealing with a tape workflow. The HDCAM decks are quite expensive to rent, on the other hand the transfer to 1080p or even 2k on harddisk might be a little more in the telecine house.

Regards, Dave