The best way to find upcoming cinematographers?

Hello,

My small crew of budding filmmakers is looking for a DP who has a camera that would be willing to work with us for demo. Does this type of thing happen? If we were paying for stock, processing and transfer...and food, would a DP take that kind of trade? Any information on how this works and where to look (if not here) would be appreciated.

Ryan

• Premium Member

I think it also depends on the DP and how much s/he likes the project and can play around. I've done free shoots before because they were brief, I had nothing else going on, and the project in some way appealed to me/allowed me to do something i'd've not been able to've done before, or it was a favor to a friend who I know and respect as a filmmaker.

Other times I've happily worked on student projects for as little as possible-- my mantra always being so long as I can make rent, well then that's all I need worry about. It all depends on the situation and as Dan mentioned, the gathering spots of other up and comers is a great place to look.

Ryan, where do you live?

You should go configure your About Me/Profile page so it shows up in your avatar when you post. That might help you get some bites or info from members here in that area.

What kind of project(s) are you looking to do? Indie film?

Ryan, where do you live?

You should go configure your About Me/Profile page so it shows up in your avatar when you post. That might help you get some bites or info from members here in that area.

What kind of project(s) are you looking to do? Indie film?

Thanks for the advice...

I'm in San Diego and we're launching a series of short films through the first half of 09. Sag Indie's.