Dec 3

Carl Brighton

I know it's getting a tad tedious on Reduser of late, (and by the way, just because people don't post there doesn't mean they don't visit), but anybody want to speculate on what the next big announcement is?

My personal bet is that at long last they've found a way to make the RED put out some sort of industry standard video format that will fit into the existing workflow infrastructure.

I'd also make a small side wager that you can have R3D or 1920 x 1080 but not both, rather like there was no going back to build 15.

• Premium Member
I know it's getting a tad tedious on Reduser of late, (and by the way, just because people don't post there doesn't mean they don't visit), but anybody want to speculate on what the next big announcement is?

Hi,

I am informed that Nikon has an announcement on the 1st December, could be interesting.

Stephen

Hi,

I am informed that Nikon has an announcement on the 1st December, could be interesting.

Stephen

I guess that gives RED a couple of days to see which way they have to jump if Nikon's design affects their sector of the market. The RED currently seems to be more for film production than stills, the interesting part would if Nikon does the same. Nikon wouldn't be stepping on the toes of any video camera customers like Canon.

• Premium Member
I guess that gives RED a couple of days to see which way they have to jump if Nikon's design affects their sector of the market. The RED currently seems to be more for film production than stills, the interesting part would if Nikon does the same. Nikon wouldn't be stepping on the toes of any video camera customers like Canon.

Hi Brian,

I guess all the fanboys who don't own a RED One will cry if 3k Scarlet does not have a S35 frame sensor for $3000, all the RED One owners will cry if it does. :lol:

Stephen

• Premium Member

I'm betting they ax some of that new product line, or reveal that the scarlet/epic are now 1 camera that shoots 9K for 9K!

Seriously, though, possibly some footage, but surely plenty of nice marketing materials (this is not a bash on red per say, rather a slight giggle at the absurdity of making announcements less than 1 month after your big announcement! )

Hey there,

I read those threads about the new "breakthroughs", and it's actually kinda shocking to see some of the people over there are actually commenting on being tired of all the hype. I thought those people LOVED the hype!

Has there ever been any business studies, or marketing studies, showing a point in which product hype can actually hurt a product and/or company?

I remember one of the threads going when Nov. 13th was coming up. I believe it was THE Nov. 13th thread. The user "Big Jon", I think it was, made a post about the announcement, and then I noticed it was taken down immediately. So unfortunately, I have no proof of this since it's gone. But his post was saying something along the lines of how the announcement would be one of the things you remember through life. Marriage, kids, etc? he was claiming the announcement of a camera system is every bit as significant a day as your wedding, or birth of your first child.

That was probably the most insane post I ever read over there. But like I said, I noticed it was taken down almost immediately. Maybe Jim saw it and realized it was too much hype to live up to?

Anyways, I'm assuming the announcement for Dec. 3rd will be improved sensor specs.

Jay

I Nikon wouldn't be stepping on the toes of any video camera customers like Canon.

I'd love to see them become players but have my doubts they will flat out have a go at our world here; I'd like to be wrong....

And Japanese companies (in video especially) tend to divide turf among them, although there have been exceptions.

OTOH we're looking at an area without clear precedents......

I thought RED was positioning itself with the 'DSMP' to shake the Canon & Nikon trees (fine with me !) --- are the trees shaking back ?

-Sam

Hey Adrian,

Thanks for the articles. Very interesting.

It helps to understand why there was quite a bit of disappointment over at the red forums after the Nov. 13th announcements.

The way they word their announcements causes these insane expectations that could never be lived up to.

Jay

I think its likely the cheaper Scarlet.

They did promise a 4K monitor a while ago that so far hasn't seen the light of day.

I have always thought and always said the sweet spot in the market would be a 35mm 2K (3K Bayer) interchangeable-lens camera that shoots compressed RAW to solid state cards and can overcrank to 60fps. Make a camera like under 5 grand and you will sell millions.

Edited by Tom Lowe

Hi Brian,

I guess all the fanboys who don't own a RED One will cry if 3k Scarlet does not have a S35 frame sensor for $3000, all the RED One owners will cry if it does. :lol:

Stephen

Stephen,

Not at all. Why not both?

As well, the promised 5K full frame is the goal I hope to comply next 2009 (Epic and Scarlet), too.

Rather, two Scarlet would rock with no traumas.

E. :-)

Did I mention 5K? I meant 6K. (Not bucks! :lol: I wish)

I'm just forgetting the last Nov 13th announcement.

Am I saying Nov 13th? Next one on Dec 3rd. ;)

Stephen,

As well, the promised 5K full frame is the goal I hope to comply next 2009 (Epic and Scarlet), too.

• Premium Member

A real product?

I'll believe it when I see a plugin for Windows Movie Maker :lol:

Suspectfully I predicates 14 fingers and hencesupposedly 2^13 if illume range tho the argument be/are somewhat submeritorious. A test slice bin toasted and buttered an falls the rightside up? Thussly far dude's output has bin sub-awesome leas' as far as th' Honky In'stry drawn' blood.

Know what I'm sayin'?

I have always thought and always said the sweet spot in the market would be a 35mm 2K (3K Bayer) interchangeable-lens camera that shoots compressed RAW to solid state cards and can overcrank to 60fps. Make a camera like under 5 grand and you will sell millions.

I doubt millions, the thing would be too large to allow those soccer moms to carry around. The mobile phone already covers the quick grab video market in the millions. If you can't slip it into your pocket it won't sell in millions.

35mm 2k is a niche market for film makers wishing to do more than basic TV productions. Even for most TV work these larger sensors will be impracticable. TV productions want larger zoom range (13:1, 22:1 plus the x 2 extender) f2 or faster lenses as their main lens, backed up with a f2 wide angle zoom. Changing prime lenses all the time isn't practical because it slows the production down. Also they won't want to pay for a crew to set up a 35mm camera rig using a workhorse zoom lens, plus the larger transportation costs.

Large sensors are going against movement towards more compact cameras since the early 1960's. It's great that they're becoming more of an option for productions that mightn't have considered them in the past, however, I wouldn't consider a lot of noise on forums being a vast market of millions.

I know quite a few TV people who have never heard of RED, and that includes camera people.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Suspectfully I predicates 14 fingers and hencesupposedly 2^13 if illume range tho the argument be/are somewhat submeritorious. A test slice bin toasted and buttered an falls the rightside up? Thussly far dude's output has bin sub-awesome leas' as far as th' Honky In'stry drawn' blood.

Know what I'm sayin'?

You can't resist... :lol:

• Premium Member
Stephen,

Hi,

If Scarlet is too good and very cheap it will make RED One seem very old & expensive

Stephen

I think it has to due with Nikon's announcement on December 1.

Check out this clip of the Canon 5DmkII shot at night in Beijing:

http://www.vimeo.com/2327058

For comparison, here is a video of Nikon's current D90:

http://vimeo.com/1728575

The color on the Canon is amazing (I am not a professional here, this is just my opinion). Nikon will probably be announcing a competitor.