Obtaining Critical Focus w/letus 35mm adapter??

Ryan Sage

Im shooting a short film with the hpx-170 and a letus 35mm adapter w/nikon primes, im wondering if anyone knows a way to display the cameras output via firewire into a macbook pro to make focusing easier because the resolution on the cameras lcd display is inadequate for obtaining critical focus while the resolution on the 17'' macbook pro is borderline hd.

Im shooting a short film with the hpx-170 and a letus 35mm adapter w/nikon primes, im wondering if anyone knows a way to display the cameras output via firewire into a macbook pro to make focusing easier because the resolution on the cameras lcd display is inadequate for obtaining critical focus while the resolution on the 17'' macbook pro is borderline hd.

Hi Ryan:

I own the exact same setup. Personally, I find the improved LCD with the three different focusing aids more than adequate for obtaining critical focus, but I come from shooting with the regular HVX200 for years. You aren't having better luck with the histogram, focus bar and the magnified box? I have been doing lots of shoots with just the LCD and have had no problems in obtaining razor sharp focus using the new tools.

But if you have your heart set on using a laptop to focus with, you can run the FireWire output of the 170 to a Mac laptop. You would just use http://www.scopebox.com/preview.php or of course, you could just buy an inexpensive 15 or 17" consumer LCD with component inputs.

Dan