Problem with 1k Scanned files

Matt Kemp

Hi,

I have already posted this in the Telecine forum, but I wanted to repost in the Super 8 section in case anyone here had experienced similar problems.

I have just had three rolls of Vision 200T Super8 stock wetgate scanned at 1k resolution.

However, when I try to open these (.avi) files at home, quicktime just shows a blank screen (although is playing something). Importing the files into Final Cut and then trying to preview them gives me a 'General Error, Out of Memory' error message, even though I have 100Gb free on my hard drive, and dropping them into the timeline shows again, a black image which apparently needs rendering but does not register when I try to render it.

Any advice or suggestions very gratefully received

Matt

Hi,

I have already posted this in the Telecine forum, but I wanted to repost in the Super 8 section in case anyone here had experienced similar problems.

I have just had three rolls of Vision 200T Super8 stock wetgate scanned at 1k resolution.

However, when I try to open these (.avi) files at home, quicktime just shows a blank screen (although is playing something). Importing the files into Final Cut and then trying to preview them gives me a 'General Error, Out of Memory' error message, even though I have 100Gb free on my hard drive, and dropping them into the timeline shows again, a black image which apparently needs rendering but does not register when I try to render it.

Any advice or suggestions very gratefully received

Matt

I think you chose the wrong file format. You should be using a Quicktime format if you're on Final Cut Pro. There are ways to convert AVI to Quicktime but it can't be a good thing to do. Anyone know of a Plug-in that would make .avi play in FCP?

-Ian

Also, just to add, I did specify Quicktime files when I got the scan, but the guy told me they were basically the same, and that .avi was just the container.. It's obviously not quite true, otherwise the files would have played with no problem in Quicktime, but the guy who did the scan is a total pro, he worked in the imaging/scanning department of Philips all his life (he's now retired), so I trust his knowledge of video file formats much more than I trust my own..

Also incidentally, on my search for a way to convert these files, I tried to burn them to a dvd in Toast. Toast came up with an error message saying a necessary Codec was missing, the 'VIDE' Codec. I've never heard of this, but I think it might be a Windows thing.

Anyway, Streamclip converted them to 720 x 576 Quicktime files for me, which drop into FCP with no problem, so all's well that ends well..

I hope!

Hi,

I think the problem might be that the avi files were uncompressed? If they were, you will have difficulty playing them from your computer. The "out of memory" message would have been referring to your RAM, not your storage space.

You will need to make compressed version of the files to edit with. Then replace the footage with the uncompressed when you are exporting, so as not to lose quality.

Josh

Edited by Josh Thurston