latitude with HD

anthony le grand

Hi guys,

I have a short film to shoot in 2 months and we only have the money to use HD cams like the HVX200 or the EX1. At the moment, my choice is the Sony one but I saw that the P2 and the JVC HD111 had good results as well, even if they are différent.

I think that the colors are a lot richer with the EX1 but do you know if the latitude with this cam is bigger than with the other ones?

Do you advise me to underexpose it 1 stop? That's what I usually do with digital but don't know about that one.

Also, I've heard some people saying that there's 2 issues with that cam.

The first one is to import the footage (I'll be working with Final Cut).

The second one is resolution drop when you move the camera. It's a real issue for me cause I'll be working with a steadicam and moving a lot (even if it will be quite slow).

Could you tell me anything about that?

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I've heard some people saying that there's 2 issues with that cam.

The first one is to import the footage (I'll be working with Final Cut).

I have had no problems importing footage from an EX1 into Final Cut. I have a MacBook Pro, which has the PCI Express slots, so all I had to do was download the drivers for the SxS card.

Transferring files is simple: Plug in the card, drag the files to the working drive, eject the card (you can now reuse it) launch FCP, go to "Log and Transfer" and ingest.

--

Jim

• Premium Member
The second one is resolution drop when you move the camera.

Resolution drop due to movement is a problem with interlaced cameras, but given the same frame rate and progressive scan on both, the EX-1 should be better both locked off and hand held. The one thing that's strange about it is that the photosites aren't lined up vertically and horizontally, they're on a diagonal pattern. This helps with aliasing on a lot of common high detail items, but should be hell on a chain link fence. That's one thing we didn't see in the tests at VTP.

-- J.S.