Arri SR2 BROKEN CARRYING HANDLE

Eric Moers

First off, happy holidays!

Well, on set we recently had an SR2 fall and hit the floor from a very small height. Luckily the angle at which the camera fell was odd as the carrying handle took most of the hit and broke the fall. No other internal or external components were damaged, however the end piece (part with the 3/8" thread) of the Carrying handle broke off.

post-31991-1227843584.jpg

post-31991-1227843628.jpg

What do you guys recommend I do to attach the piece of the handle back to the camera where it can hold the camera weight? Super glue, (rhino, gorilla), some special epoxy, or soldering?

• Premium Member

I wouldn't trust any of the above for a handle. Replace it where it bolts onto the top of the body. If it is the same hole spacing and everything, try to get an SR3 handle. They are a bit larger and nicer to grab.

I wouldn't trust any of the above for a handle. Replace it where it bolts onto the top of the body. If it is the same hole spacing and everything, try to get an SR3 handle. They are a bit larger and nicer to grab.

Hey, thank you! Do you know where I could purchase another handle?

Thanks again!

• Premium Member

Chris is right, you need to replace the whole handle. Any kind of "fix" will fail at that same spot, and if anyone is holding or picking up the camera by that handle when it snaps off, there could be more damage to the camera.

As I mentioned in the PM you sent, after any fall like that, where the camera is damaged to that degree, you really should have it inspected before you shoot a project with it, especially if there was a lens attached at the time the camera fell. Even without a lens attached, I've seen spindles inside SR magazines sheer when the mag was loaded with 400 ft on one side and the camera was dropped. Dropping a motion picture camera can be a very damaging thing. You should have the FFD checked, the ground glass checked, and the movement inspected, as well as any magazine that was on the camera at the time.

Best,

-Tim

Arri Inc: 845-353-1400. Ask to speak with a service technician and then with somebody in sales for a quote for an SR handle. The school I used to work at had an SR fall out of a U-haul, in its case. The case bounced and hit the highway, (ugh every time I tell this story I sort of want to throw up a little) at which point it was picked up by the cops, who opened up the case, jammed a sandbag on top of the camera, and closed it. Between one thing and another, the camera had issues with its viewing system and with its electronics. It was repaired for about $1400, I think...something like that. Just looking at it after it fell, you wouldn't have known any of these things, but once the school sent it in, the camera ended up having some pretty serious problems. Those handles are pretty heavy-duty...I mean, it's a handle...and if something like that breaks, enough force to break metal, it's a fair amount of impact on the camera. So you're better safe than sorry!

• Premium Member

Get a price from Arri, and if it's too much, look around for another SR that's trashed, but still has a good handle. Try rental houses, they sometimes have a stash of junker parts. Try used equipment dealers like Visual Pursuit.

I'm not sure how this attaches to the camera, but if the whole part is simple enough, you might consider making a custom one. Somebody with access to a trade school machine shop might be able to make one. Ordinary aluminum like 6061 would be even better than the original casting. It would bend rather than break.

And, of course, have the whole camera checked out and tuned up before you use it again.

-- J.S.

Thanks a lot guys!

I actually called Bernie O'Doherty, who fortunately had a spare SR3 handle lying around. The SR3 handle is much more comfortable and easy to grip. The camera was inspected by a local tech and everything registered as o.k. thank god!

Those Arri's are built like a tank.

Thanks again, happy shooting!

Eric Moers