Old Prison Shoot+ a tricky shot

Elie Kamal

hey there, i'm shooting a new short next week using 2 dvx 100B.

it's all happening in around 1915 in a women prison.

i've got a scene happening in the alley (check attached picture) which i will be shooting with the sun in 3/4 backlight with some haze.

the rest of the shoot will be inside the old cave/prison (check attached picture). the cave has only one small window facing a huge door.

for the day scenes , i'm planning to place a 5k outside the window (the window will be covered with black block to create a tent around it) and bouncing some red heads on foam board to fill the walls. i will also have some dedo lights, 120cm 4 banks kinflo and china balls.

for the night scenes, i will use the 5k outside with half ctb on it. i will also have some oil lanterns as practicals. i will mimic these with china balls on dimmers (mounted on sound boom) and straw(the moving ones) and the fix ones with dedo lights.

i will also use some haze to bring the shadows up a bit.

My main concern is on how to reveal the beauty of the stones. any thoughts on that and the overall setup?

tricky shot:

the lead actress in standing in front of the window and the light changes from sunlight to moon in the shot

so i'm planing to place the 5k with a frame containing the following :

1/4 cto( on top), then 1/2 cto +nd3(in the center)then 3/4 + nd6 (on the bottom) and move the light down and pan it off. i will also have a 120 kinoflo next to mimic the sky light. the kinoflo will also be panned off shortly after the 5k is completly off. simultaneously a 2k with 1/2 ctb will be panned on and the ped up to mimic the moon light...

what do you think of this complication? any input will be appreciated

Ps: the look i'm looking for is from "long dimanche de fiancailles" and "the other boleyn girl " (see attached pictures)

Regards,

Elie Kamal

post-24897-1227892172.jpg

post-24897-1227892204.jpg

post-24897-1227892222.jpg

post-24897-1227892250.jpg

My main concern is on how to reveal the beauty of the stones. any thoughts on that and the overall setup?

Capture the texture of the stones by either placing a light flat against the wall and facing up or down. It would probably make more sense to do this from the top, so just put say a Redhead on a pole cat right against the wall and it will bring out the texture, and will slowly fade off across the wall.

The way I imagine this scene is to be very dark with lots of contrast... is this what you are going for?

• 2 weeks later...

thank you daniel for your input,

now the shoot is done and now we're almost done with a rough cut

here's some pictures i took on the set with my dslr

PS: i'm sorry i couldn't find any other solution to upload all these pictures! by the way how do you upload many pictures????

Cheers!

post-24897-1229280004.jpg