Cinematography jargon???

Nick Centera

• Premium Member
I remember on a certain job instead of doing that we just said "twist". It referred to the twisting motion. Why it got turned back into verbal communication, I don't know.

And there you have a microcosm of the evolution of human language -- the very thing that makes Shakespeare difficult to understand, and Chaucer downright impossible.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
And there you have a microcosm of the evolution of human language -- the very thing that makes Shakespeare difficult to understand, and Chaucer downright impossible.... ;-)

-- J.S.

Yeah, good point. It's certainly interesting to think about in that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I was wondering if there was a place on the internet, or a book, or something that has a definition for different names for stuff. I have heard so many things that I have no clue and I want to know. I know that this should come in time with experience, but if I get on set and the DoP asks me to get something and I have no clue what it is, then I will not look as good. So if you have any advice or anything let me know. Thanks

Try reading these:

Gaffers: Set Lighting Technician's Handbook

ACs: The Camera Assistant's Manual by David E Elkins, SOC & Cinematographer's Manual by Steven H. Burum, ASC

Grips: The Grip Book By Micheal Uva

Hope these help..

Forgive me for not including more. I still have more than a lifetime of learning to do.