Big Red Sensors Theory

Chris Nuzzaco

You might be right. And I might be right. Time will tell. I bet three years from now 4K DIs will be the standard for major films.

That may depend on how you define major films. You'd also need a critical mass of 4k cinemas to make it worthwhile for films that are less likely to receive screening in flagship cinemas. Currently theatres are slowly progressing towards 2k digital projection and given the capital costs involved they'll want to run those projectors into the ground.

The theatre owners may want product that is on a grander scale to differentiate them from TV, but that mostly won't be indie productions.

• Premium Member
You might be right. And I might be right. Time will tell. I bet three years from now 4K DIs will be the standard for major films.

How much do you bet?

$5? $10? $24.97? :rolleyes:

Seriously, there's no reason why that can't happen, given the constant improvement of price/performance in all computer systems.

But a more likely near-term scenario is 4K DI for future proofing, 4K burning for the film release neg and 2K video release.

I think the NBT for prestige film release will be the use of multiple negs directly burned by an Arrilaser, rather than burning just one and making multi-generation duplicates off that.

Eventually the actual printing negs might be done that way, which would dramatically increase the print quality. There would need to be a lot more Arrilasers around for that to happen of course.

But time will tell :lol:

Techies may dream of larger formats but the accountants will make the decisions.

No techy in their right state of mind dreams so, or at least I hope not.

I think for small independent types the best is to put money on the sound system than running after endless "K" syndrome of resolution. I shall take 2K/1080p format with a great sound system for a movie project than a 4K/8K resolution with average or so so sound.

Sound is more important than apparent visual resolution; people are forgiving of relatively lower image quality, but not audio quality.

Edited by DJ Joofa

Tom as much as you want to bet... you better not go to Vegas... you'll be playing the tables instead of going to NAB... :lol:

No I'm a cheap bastard in Vegas too... I stick to the nickel slots and 1-dollar blackjack hands. :lol:

No I'm a cheap bastard in Vegas too... I stick to the nickel slots and 1-dollar blackjack hands. :lol:

I'm like you... a friend and I drove to Vegas with two other guys a few years ago... stopped in Searchlight for a break... the two other guys were broke before my friend and I even found the head....

Edited by Gary McClurg

haha... just to completely derail this thread... my betting method is pretty simple. I walk in with 20 bucks in my pocket, and won't spend a dime more. If I get up to $100, I cash out. Then I buy myself a nice drink at the bar and watch my friends go broke. :lol:

haha... just to completely derail this thread... my betting method is pretty simple. I walk in with 20 bucks in my pocket, and won't spend a dime more. If I get up to $100, I cash out. Then I buy myself a nice drink at the bar and watch my friends go broke. :lol:

Smart boy... Watch your friends or the babes in bikini? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Arri bought Dalsa, so they have acquired 4K technology already.

-- J.S.

The "Arri bought DALSA" misconception is patently false and is a dangerous meme to be propagated, especially on internet forums. Arri did not "buy DALSA" at all. To quote DALSA's own press:

A letter of intent between the Canadian company Dalsa and the German company Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH or Arri includes the possibility that Arri will invest in the Digital Cinema side of Dalsa's business. The announcement states that:

"Under the terms of the LOI, ARRI would acquire certain existing assets of the DALSA Digital Cinema division. Concurrently, DALSA and ARRI would enter into a technology partnership agreement whereby DALSA will develop for ARRI custom high performance CCD image sensors and related products. Furthermore, DALSA would supply the developed products to ARRI for digital cinematography applications through DALSA?s core businesses."

As of yet there is a letter of intent for Arri to get sensor technology from DALSA, nothing more. No deal has been finalized and it remains exactly that: a letter of intent as both sides perform due diligence. DALSA is a large company with very successful divisions outside of the Digital Cinema market and is not a potential subject of a take-over by Arriflex.

I apologize if I am sounding a bit condescending, but please let us try and inject some business/economic reality into these discussions. This is how false information gets passed off as fact.

Alan Lasky

PROC