Best way to sync audio?

Nick Castronuova

Hey, I shot crystal sync on the Arri SR-2 and slated. Do I just sync the old fashioned clapboard match way?

I tried converting my footage to 24 FPS in cinematools (I shot 24fps but had it telecined) and now it seems not to sync with the audio at all. Any suggestions? Maybe i put in the wrong presets.

Hey, I shot crystal sync on the Arri SR-2 and slated. Do I just sync the old fashioned clapboard match way?

Yep, that's all there is to it.

I tried converting my footage to 24 FPS in cinematools (I shot 24fps but had it telecined) and now it seems not to sync with the audio at all. Any suggestions? Maybe i put in the wrong presets.

When you say it doesn't sync at all, is that after syncing up the slate "the old fashioned way"? How long before the sound goes out of sync?

• Premium Member

If you're cutting on computer, you can get away with a head and tail slate and not even run sync. You'll spend time in post lining up the slates. But, it's doable. Given that, you can put your sound on darn near anything as long as you've got the slates. I'm not saying it's a good idea. Just doable.

And then what's the easiest way to sync?

Open Clip in cinema tools, conform to 24 fps.

Change sequence settings in fcp to 24fps.

import and drag the conformed clip (video only) to the time-line of your 24fps-sequence, that's it

cheers, Bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

• 1 month later...

When you transfer to DV, you are going from true 24fps to (30) fps. The problem is that the 30 is actually only 29.97 fps. If you want to sync it directly in something like final cut, without touching the picture, you want to slow down the audio by -0.1%. That will make your audio and video match, then just go by the clapboard.

Mike