Fire light effect

DJ Kast

I read in an issue of AC that for "There Will Be Blood" the gaffer rigged up a box that house numerous peanut bulbs on a circuit that randomly dimmed and flickered. Then he mixed CTO and theatrical reds to augment color. They didn't go into more detail on how it was build, and I was curious if anyone had some ideas on how to get the lights to do this without putting strings of lights on dimmers and have a few guys turning them up and down.

You can get flicker generators that both internally generate the flicker which you can set various parameters into them to emulate different types and sizes of flame, but also have a photosensitive sensor that can be used to emulate a fire source that is in frame. I have seen these units capable of handling max loads from 1kva to 5kva.

My favorite method of getting this effect is to have a lamp, which is flickering bounced into a suitably sized frame with silver or gold lame' which is being shaken.

• Premium Member

I have found that you don't need much. For me a simple two lamp scenario works well. First lamp on steady with some yellow or Orange gel. Second lamp (small wattage on a flicker gelled with another yellow to orange slightly off from the first.

http://www.bluesky-web.com/fire.mov

That is the effect of a campfire using the flicker box I sell.