Newbie Equipment

I'm a camera trainee, who has had a good year working on some good stuff; I need to by a good camera bag but am stumped as to what to choose. Lindcraft Super Grip & A.C. Bag, or Arri, Panavision, or Doggybag (In the UK).

Also wanted to get some sausage markers, their about £40 each for the 12" ones which sound stupidly expensive "http://www.tvcases.co.uk/doggy_bag_db_1042-p-11396.html".

Any advice would be welcome I live in the UK, but am willing to by online from the states and pay the duty. Thanks.

• Premium Member

You can make the markers yourself for next to nothing if you can find a sewing machine or someone who will throw you some sewing favors. Put dry sand in a good grade of large, ziplock bag. Wet sand if you need more weight for the size. Roll it into the right shape and tape it into shape. Put that in another bag. Repeat. Then another. Repeat. Buy heavy grade canvas in the colors you want. Some fabric stores will be cool and sell you more colors in sub-yard lengths. Some won't. Sew up a open ended tube, use multiple stitches of carpeting thread. I use three stitches. Turn the tube inside-out. Slide the sand bag in. hand stitch up the end. You've got a marker bag. The same thing works for cheap sand bags. Sew nylon strap handles into the bag before folding over to make it into a tube. Looser, dry sand makes a bag that will give and mold to shapes. Tighter, wet sand bags are good for door stops, wire weights and heavy light stands. Make some of each.

They will wear out faster than the expensive bags. But they only cost you a buck each or less. If you're working a lot of union jobs, clear the design and a sample of the execution with your local before going into the whole job. If you're non-union, make them about the same weight and size as what everyone else around you is using.

You can make the markers yourself for next to nothing if you can find a sewing machine or someone who will throw you some sewing favors. Put dry sand in a good grade of large, ziplock bag. Wet sand if you need more weight for the size. Roll it into the right shape and tape it into shape. Put that in another bag. Repeat. Then another. Repeat. Buy heavy grade canvas in the colors you want. Some fabric stores will be cool and sell you more colors in sub-yard lengths. Some won't. Sew up a open ended tube, use multiple stitches of carpeting thread. I use three stitches. Turn the tube inside-out. Slide the sand bag in. hand stitch up the end. You've got a marker bag. The same thing works for cheap sand bags. Sew nylon strap handles into the bag before folding over to make it into a tube. Looser, dry sand makes a bag that will give and mold to shapes. Tighter, wet sand bags are good for door stops, wire weights and heavy light stands. Make some of each.

They will wear out faster than the expensive bags. But they only cost you a buck each or less. If you're working a lot of union jobs, clear the design and a sample of the execution with your local before going into the whole job. If you're non-union, make them about the same weight and size as what everyone else around you is using.

Thank you Paul, I'm decent at sowing so its worth giving it a go, especially at £40 a pop, thats £400 for ten. I can't see how it costs anything close to that to manufacture, transport, tax and sell.