hpx2700

chris reynolds

Good Evening

im just going through the HPX2700 manual and camera and just wondered under what shooting conditions would you need to record GPS data?

There's an obvious reason im sure to this so apologies upfront for the question

chris

There are many uses but one that comes to mind would be you shoot nature docs and want to return to the exact same deer trail each season. Using this board, you could find your way back easily no matter how the terrain had changed.

Same with on-the-water shoots?

Dan

Maybe it's helpful when the footage is entered into a database, and people can search by location, without location data having to be manually input for each clip?

Just curious: how do you like the camera??

-H

Really like the camera

Since i started shooting with the Varicam, i've always loved the 'Panasonic' picture. Here in England, Sony have the market cornered ( sp to dvcam to Sx to DigiBeta and the various high def models), so when an Americam client comes over , you know they'll want to shoot with a Panasonic. Im going to be going tooth and nail through the menus next week and doing more tests but i like what i see. The new Sony 700 looks great (bloody heavy though), but typical sony, its only delivered with 1080i shooting modes and the software upgrade to 720p is £3000 ($4900???) and then i dont even know if there's going to be variable frame rate speeds!?

Will post when i've done more with it. Panasonic may not release as many varient models and styles as Sony but you get a better camera every time...hands down

cheers

chris

but typical sony, its only delivered with 1080i shooting modes and the software upgrade to 720p is £3000 ($4900???) and then i dont even know if there's going to be variable frame rate speeds!?

I did a demo with Sony where we were showing the 700 (SN:00002 right out of the box) with all the planned upgrades on. There was no variable frame function, but it was able to shoot 25 at 1080p or 50 / 60 at 720p.

It does however feature a full 1920 x 1080 chip (2.2 megapixel and the same front end as the HDC-1500), which the 2700 does not (1280 x 720, 1.1megapixel). In this respect I'd say its fairer to compare it to the HPX-3000 dont you think?

Of course, once you do that, the Sony seems a great option. 13k cheaper, 50 gig media disc for £35 as opposed to a 32 gig card for £800, and the Panasonic 3000 wont do 50 / 60 fps.

Ive used all three in question (not the 3700 yet but hopefully soon), and in value for money, the Sony has such a broad range of features its hard not to like it.

All four of them still have the crappy lcd on the side. If they can put such a sharp lcd on a £4k EX-1, why not on an £18k PDW-700 or the more expensive Panas?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
The hpx170 is an excellent camera. On par with the EX1, accept it doesnt have to deal with rolling shutter problems, and uses an i frame codec with a 4:2:2 color space. You can pull some clean keys with it.

Hi,

Shootings Keys with an EX1 & F900R side by side both recorded to HDCAM SR showed just how good a camera the EX1 is.

Stephen

• 1 month later...
Really like the camera

Since i started shooting with the Varicam, i've always loved the 'Panasonic' picture. Here in England, Sony have the market cornered ( sp to dvcam to Sx to DigiBeta and the various high def models), so when an Americam client comes over , you know they'll want to shoot with a Panasonic. Im going to be going tooth and nail through the menus next week and doing more tests but i like what i see. The new Sony 700 looks great (bloody heavy though), but typical sony, its only delivered with 1080i shooting modes and the software upgrade to 720p is £3000 ($4900???) and then i dont even know if there's going to be variable frame rate speeds!?

Will post when i've done more with it. Panasonic may not release as many varient models and styles as Sony but you get a better camera every time...hands down

cheers

chris

The firmware upgrade that enables 720p and the lower XDCAM HD formats is free. You need to buy a software key to enabled the SD recording and playback which is $4k. But the 700 is pretty full featured out of the box now. I don't think we'll ever see variable frame rates in that camera.

The Varicam is a great camera. I love the look of it and it is very full featured. I think the GPS data would be very well suited for shooting Nature, Documentary work in unfamiliar areas, and for Military needs.

Andy