Beaulieu 4008 battery packs, etc.

Greg Traw

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

Depending on what you're willing to do, you'll find various tutorials around the web.

I chose the external power pack solution which is probably the safest :

- no modification on camera / battery

- uses standard AA batteries : cheap and easy to find, uses external charger, you can have multiple sets of batteries to prevent any troubles while on set

- cheap and easy to make (if you have some basic knowledge in electricity/electronics and can use a soldering machine)

I bought a contact block from Wittner (Germany), which is the most expensive part, but as far as it's the one directly linked to the camera, it prevents you from damaging any part or bad wiring.

The other parts can be found in shops selling electronic parts. I got the whole set for less than 5 bucks (4 euros maximum) : cable, connector and plastic block to hold the AA batteries.

Just follow the indications joined with the contact block (you have 3 wires : ground, 3.6V and 7.2V) and after 10-15 minutes depending on your skills...you have a brand new battery pack for you beloved Beaulieu.

I actually had some troubles with a bad contact on my solder points the first time, I had to do it again (for 5 more bucks...) and now it works perfectly !

Hope this helps.

Hi Greg,

Depending on what you're willing to do, you'll find various tutorials around the web.

I chose the external power pack solution which is probably the safest :

- no modification on camera / battery

- uses standard AA batteries : cheap and easy to find, uses external charger, you can have multiple sets of batteries to prevent any troubles while on set

- cheap and easy to make (if you have some basic knowledge in electricity/electronics and can use a soldering machine)

I bought a contact block from Wittner (Germany), which is the most expensive part, but as far as it's the one directly linked to the camera, it prevents you from damaging any part or bad wiring.

The other parts can be found in shops selling electronic parts. I got the whole set for less than 5 bucks (4 euros maximum) : cable, connector and plastic block to hold the AA batteries.

Just follow the indications joined with the contact block (you have 3 wires : ground, 3.6V and 7.2V) and after 10-15 minutes depending on your skills...you have a brand new battery pack for you beloved Beaulieu.

I actually had some troubles with a bad contact on my solder points the first time, I had to do it again (for 5 more bucks...) and now it works perfectly !

Hope this helps.

I made my own battery pack for my ZMII.. Why make an 'exernal' battery pack? You don't wanna hold it in your hand while shooting right? Anyways one could argue that the battery pack I made is external..

check it out and hopefully it will give you ideas on how to make your own, since it really isnt hard to do:

http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/forum/...2e1798b217fc232

• 2 weeks later...
I made my own battery pack for my ZMII.. Why make an 'exernal' battery pack? You don't wanna hold it in your hand while shooting right? Anyways one could argue that the battery pack I made is external..

Wow :huh: ... I've never seen such a mod before.

The finition seems great but it's way too big in my opinion. Above all I would fear to damage my 4008 with such a but attachement on the small threads of the battery block.

I'll try to make some shots of my setup ; as it's quite compact you can easily shoot with the external battery pack in your pocket.

Wow :huh: ... I've never seen such a mod before.

The finition seems great but it's way too big in my opinion. Above all I would fear to damage my 4008 with such a but attachement on the small threads of the battery block.

I'll try to make some shots of my setup ; as it's quite compact you can easily shoot with the external battery pack in your pocket.

That would be great!!!

Here are some pics of my set up :

The Beaulieu camera with the contactor block (from Wittner) sold in an original Beaulieu cardbox... (no use but looks terribly oldschool) :

photo1yx1.jpg

The homemade external battery pack : plastic block for 6 AA batteries (external charger), 2m cable and DIN contactor (sorry for the Duct Tape).

photo2xn3.jpg

Complete setup : batteries are in a small pouch (for digital cameras) that easily fits in a pocket or can be fixed on your belt or on tripod.

photo3qz4.jpg

I could have used another DIN contactor which is smaller (90° corner shape) to have a more compact setup but this one works good : the camera is well balanced and I've never been out of power for now...