400 Hours

• Premium Member
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the proposed 400 hours...

~Marque

Is it that you have to work 400 hrs. per six month period (?) in order to stay qualified for the healthcare plan? Not sure if that was the deal...

... but in this day and age of a falling economy, it's unfortunate that so many forces are at work to make people lose their healthcare coverage more easily. It's like double misery: lose work, lose income, and then be burdened with losing one's healthcare coverage.

• 1 month later...

Well, the unspoken purpose is to cut out most of those who need the coverage in order to cut costs. Raising the hours means that only the most "elite" among the union members ever get any tangible benefit out of being a member of the union (besides the magazine and a pen).

For those of us who are card holders who shoot EPK, this has been the situation anyway. We pay for the card in order to have the ticket to "ride the ride" but have no chance of getting tangible benefits out of it (besides the job).

Unfortunately the best thing I can say is "welcome to the club." :(

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! You got a pen? All I got was a bill.

Sorry about your pen issues. What I want to know is, are they still giving out the nifty planners?

check out this site.. has to do with the tentative agreement.

Makes you wonder how they can use the economy as an excuse to cut some members health care. Sad..

www.400hours.com

• Premium Member

Ok so here is the deal from what I understand....

The entire bargaining group (around 17 locals on west & east coasts including 600) agreed to the 400 hour increase. Local 600 has agreed not to break away from the group. For the G&E guys who vastly outnumber us they don't care since its not a struggle to get the hours and the few people that are going to loose coverage they feel are "dead weight" anyway. Local 600 members will take the biggest hit around 15-20% who now have coverage will lose it from what I understand. The initial 600 hour qualifying period from my knowledge hasn't changed (this is only your first period to qualify). The impression I got from the rulers of the guild is that we pretty much have to just eat the additional hours and say thank you.

Why the change...well its all about money. If they increase the bank, then they don't save any money. The way they make up the money is by having those people lose coverage but still pay in when they come up short in their hours.

~Marque