2-perf camera systems

Nicholas Wienset

Hi,

I'm a cinematographer at Chapman University in Southern Los Angeles. I'm currently in preproduction stages for an ambitious senior thesis project and we've determined that we want to shoot scope, with a 2-perf system, bumping up the res. with a 2K scan. I've been doing research on 2-perf camera systems and I've been having a hard time finding straight answers on available systems. We're very interested in the Aaton Penelope, but I'm not sure where I can rent that camera in LA. I've heard that the Arri Lite and 235 can be configured with 2-perf movement (As well as the IIC?), but I haven't received word if that is legit or not. I would love some advise from anyone who has experience with 2-perf systems. Where to get one, which to get, and how much the daily rate is: anything I should know, when I go and inquire at a rental house.

Also we're planning a 'Children of Men'-esc shot, that'll eat up about 4 minutes of film per take, so the camera would have to be steadycam/handheld friendly.

I'd greatly appreciate any input and/or advise!

Happy Holidays!

Cheers, Nicholas

• Premium Member
PM Bruce Taylor.

Dude! :o

Google "techniscope 2 perf camera rental los angeles" don't I come up? www.indi35.com?

But maybe Russian cameras aren't your cup of tea? I actually rented my 2 perf rig to one of your classmates @Chapman a few weeks ago (do you know Zac?).

Anyhow, available now, Kinor 35H (silent modern moviecam look alike) camera set (body, mags, prime lenses, vid tap, batteries, steadicam cables-- everything you need but a tripod) $550 a day, 3 day week, 20% student discount.

4 minutes, hmmm, about 200' in the 2 perf world. Hey isn't that the length of a short end? Go to www.reelgoodfilm.com and pick up 200' of just about any stock for $20.

Shoot me a PM or take a look at the site.

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

bruce@Indi35.com

Thank you Bruce! Haha!

I actually know Mr. Baney fairly well. Goofy kid!

What you have to offer actually sounds right up our alley, and I recently screened his film 'Generation Y' and it looked crisp and clean. I'll make an effort to check out your website. How far in advance can I book your camera? This project is extremely ambitious and photography won't begin for another year and a half! I'm almost positive you don't rent that far out BUT, it'd be nice to know when I should contact you as our shoot dates loom in the distance.

Thank you so much, Sir and I look forward to doing business with you.

Cheers, Nicholas

• Premium Member
Thank you Bruce! How far in advance can I book your camera?

Hey Nicholas,

A couple of months in advance would be very suffucient, 30 days is usually all I need. I'm glad to hear that Zac's film looked good.

If you're looking to spend a lot more money or can get one of their grants, I hear that Panavision Woodland Hills has some 2 perf movements.

And to Bruce McNaughton: good to hear about the Arri's you have for rent. I'll refer any potential rentees from that part of the world your way. And hey, is that Mrs. McNaughton you have up as your avatar?

Best,

Bruce Taylor

www.Indi35.com

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I'm a cinematographer at Chapman University in Southern Los Angeles. I'm currently in preproduction stages for an ambitious senior thesis project and we've determined that we want to shoot scope, with a 2-perf system, bumping up the res. with a 2K scan. I've been doing research on 2-perf camera systems and I've been having a hard time finding straight answers on available systems. We're very interested in the Aaton Penelope, but I'm not sure where I can rent that camera in LA. I've heard that the Arri Lite and 235 can be configured with 2-perf movement (As well as the IIC?), but I haven't received word if that is legit or not. I would love some advise from anyone who has experience with 2-perf systems. Where to get one, which to get, and how much the daily rate is: anything I should know, when I go and inquire at a rental house.

Also we're planning a 'Children of Men'-esc shot, that'll eat up about 4 minutes of film per take, so the camera would have to be steadycam/handheld friendly.

I'd greatly appreciate any input and/or advise!

Happy Holidays!

Cheers, Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

I have had plenty of experience with 2 perf my friend! I shot a feature with my old Kinor 35C 2 perf camera last spring. It wasn't without some limitations and education, but it was a blast. What I would suggest, should you decide to go the scanning route (which, with 2 perf is pretty much your only option), is this: We did a 2K on an Arriscan that does 3K-2K conversion. The scanner has pretty much free reign on the size of the downconverted frame with a simple marquee tool adjustment. My 3K-2K files ended up at a frame size of 1828 x 775. While this is nice, I would have preferred to at least have a 1920 wide frame. When doing the downconversion, try to get it to at least 1920 wide to save yourself a head ache!

As far as the Penelope is concerned, I will have them available towards the end of January. Feel free to drop me a PM or phone call.

Best,

Mike

• 3 years later...

Hi Bruce ,

could you help me out i would like to know is it possible a 35mm 2perf movement on BL4 camera or should i choose Arri 235. suggestion please.

Regards

Leo

Hi

We now have an Arri BL2 in 2 perf which we can rent along with several 2Cs. It is very suitable for steadicam work.

Also watch Ebay in a week or two for a very special 3 PERF super 35 Cameflex that is in our workshop right now.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce , could you help me out i would like to know is it possible a 35mm 2perf movement on BL4 camera or should i choose Arri 235. suggestion please.

Regards Leo

I recommend Bruce at Arandafilm. He's converting my BL4 to 2-perf right now.

Bruce is very accommodating, he practically rebuilt our Cameflex into a 2-perf dream camera.