Climbing out of the DIT tent

John Thomas

• Premium Member

I'm doing my second HD job and the first with a DIT tent. I'm accustom to sitting with the Director, script super, and producer. This is not really possible on the job I'm on now. Because of our speed, I'm needed in the tent. I feel like I'm out of the creative loop because of this. When the tent's next to the lo-def village it's not too bad, but most locations and some studio sets prohibit that. No matter how much I run around I can't be in two places at once. Has anyone had a similar experience?

• Premium Member
I'm doing my second HD job and the first with a DIT tent. I'm accustom to sitting with the Director, script super, and producer. This is not really possible on the job I'm on now. Because of our speed, I'm needed in the tent. I feel like I'm out of the creative loop because of this. When the tent's next to the lo-def village it's not too bad, but most locations and some studio sets prohibit that. No matter how much I run around I can't be in two places at once. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I had exactly the same experience on my last HD shoot, a TV series, my first with a DIT after ten HD features.

On all my other HD shows, I had an HD monitor at the video village with the director and script supervisor, with a lot of black flags. Same on my two RED features.

But on my last show using the Genesis, they budgeted for a DIT and an HD monitor for his tent, but no other HD monitors -- everyone else got a downconverted SD signal. So I had to sit inside the tent since I had to watch the HD image to look for problems.

The AD told me that I should have insisted on another HD monitor for the director and me to sit and watch together. Now that HD monitors are getting cheaper, it should be possible. On my two RED features, we bought two 17" JVC HD monitors which worked fine.

I'm never going to let that happen again. It's too important for the DP and director to sit together.

Get an HD monitor for the director and sit with him or her. Many HD monitors have a waveform so you can check exposure. I just run back and forth between the DIT tent and the director spending 80% of the time with the director and 20% with the DIT. It is easy to get seduced by the great image in the tent but your place is with the director. By checking in with the DIT you can keep an eye on what is happening.

But on my last show using the Genesis, they budgeted for a DIT and an HD monitor for his tent, but no other HD monitors -- everyone else got a downconverted SD signal. So I had to sit inside the tent since I had to watch the HD image to look for problems.

Dave, I have to agree with your AD. I've shot three episodic television series on HD and I have always had HD monitors for the Directors. I've gone with 17" Panasonics. If my shows can afford them I am sure yours can.